Re: Introducing myself

    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 5, 2006

      Hi Stefanie,

      Welcome to 'Gen-Mixed'!!! :)

      We are very happy to see that you are a part of our online community and
      are confident that you will make many great new friends here and have the
      opportunity to engage in some really interesting conversations and discussions. =D>

      Thank you for sharing the information about yourself
      and your very "racially" admixed extended family.
      Congratulations on the birth of your new born and your newest nephew.
      (In additon, please note that our condolences go out to you and your family
      on the recent loss of you mother and you are in all of our prayers as well.).

      Also -- you made a really good point about the conversation you had with your friend
      -- because -- as Mixed-Race people -- unless we date or marry someone who is of our
      own admixture / lineage -- we really are in an 'interracial relationship' -- regardless.:-?

      Thanks again for writing and sharing and we are really glad to meet you.
      Have a great day.

      --M

      stefaniedunning@... wrote:

      Hi everyone,

      I thought I'd post in to say hello and introduce myself.
      My name is Stefanie and I'm really looking forward
      to participating in the discussions here.

      I am an FGM, my mother was black (she died in November) and my father white.
      I could get more specific (my mother's grandmother was a full blooded Cherokee,
      my father's mother was an Irish immigrant and his father a German immigrant)
      but we'll let the easier labels apply (though of course, I just didn't).

      My husband is Sri Lankan and we've just had our first child (she is 3 months old).
      It never occurred to me to think about all the ways mixed race stuff impacts my life.
      I am just me--my husband is was brought to my attention by an African American
      friend who asked me, "How does it feel to be in an interracial relationship
      just him -- you know, we fell in love and got married.
      I never thought about the race aspect of it, until it ?"
      That's a crazy *ss question any way (it feels like any other good
      relationship feels), but my response was to feel that any one I
      dated, more or less, would mean I was in an "interracial" relationship.
      But this is the thing--as cliched as it may sound,
      I really just see people as people first.
      Then something happens (they say something
      or whatever) that makes me "remember race."

      My extended family is also very mixed race--one of my brothers
      is married to a Filipina-American woman and they have 4 kids;
      my other brother is married to a white woman and they just had
      their first baby this past Thursday! (Samuel is his name, 8lbs 5oz!)

      I am excited to be here and look forward to some great discussions.
      I hope our conversations will broaden and deepen my thinking about
      these issues for a capstone I am teaching in the fall, Miscegenation
      and mulattos in Amercan Literature, 1865 to the present.

      Thanks!

      Stefanie
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 7, 2006
        Welcome to Generation Mixed Stefanie:)

        Sounds like you are very close to your family. Congrats on the birth of your new nephew, Samuel. It is is very interesting to hear your story, thanks for sharing. I am so sorry about the death of your mother, I will keep you & your family in my prayers.

        The class you are teaching sounds facinating...I look forward to learning more from you.

        In the Light~ Lynn

      • stefaniedunning@aol.com
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 8, 2006
          Thanks for the welcome Lynn!

          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 8, 2006

             Hi all,

            I was wondering if any of you saw the PBS special done by Henry Louis Gates in February for Black History Month where he attempts to use DNA to trace the ancestry of some famous African Americans back to Africa?

            I don't know if you've already talked about this or not, so forgive me. I also wonder if there are any geneticists on the list here and what your point of view of this is?

            I am hoping to write something on this. I think what is interesting about it (in short) is that while his project was seemingly essentialist (you know, finding one's "pure" black origin) what he actually uncovered was how multi-racial most of them were!  For example, both Oprah Winfrey and Mae Jemison discovered they are some percentage of East Asian ancestry.  Gates discovered about himself that "genetically speaking" he is mostly of Northern European descent and did Quincy Jones.  So what this "back to Africa" project uncovered--instead of how "African" the folks where, but rather how "miscegenated," if you will, they all are.

            I wonder what you all thought of that...if any of you had seen the special?

            Stefanie
            .

          • Christel Allen
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 8, 2006
              Hi Stefanie (and all!),

              I have yet to introduce myself to everyone, so first things first; Hi everyone! I'm excited to meet you all. My name is Christel and I am a senior at Santa Clara University, days from graduation, actually. I'm an extremely ambiguous blend of Dark Irish, French Calvinists, Sioux Indian, Indigenous Tarasco, and  Spanish Conquistadores, yet I look similar to Asian/Pacific Islanders occasionally I'll even forget I'm not (kidding....) My Dad fully believes somebody on the Chinese boats that came to North America 1,000 years ago fooled around with one of our ancestors. I'm less convinced.

              But that thought in the back of my head is one reason I decided to immerse myself into the growing cluster of research on Mixed research for my journalism senior capstone, a feature on the inconclusive and occasionally contradicting research on Mixed people, and what it tells us, and doesn't, about the future of the booming population of Mixed Americans, and other populations worldwide.

              Websites like www.dnaancestryproject.com, for a fee, will map my genetic ancestry and tell me whether or not my dad has case for our Asian ancestry.

              My story touches on some the some of issues you brought up in your questions, when I cover the genetics involved in Mixed studies. One article I've found extremely interesting came from Stanford. I couldn't find a link, but here's some excepts.

              Stanford Law Review
              October, 2003
              Redefining Race: Can Genetic Testing Provide Biological Proof of Indian Ethnicity?

              By Eric Beckenhauer

              ... A Chukchansi Indian from the foothills of Fresno, she lives in a two-room trailer with her daughter, mother, and brother. ... It then explains, in Part III, how a legislative attempt to enable Indians to "prove" their ethnic identities through genetic testing, besides demonstrating a failure to understand these limitations, provoked outrage among Indian communities. ... Since tribal membership requirements are generally tribe-specific, so-called "mixed bloods" may be entirely Indian by heritage, without having an adequate blood quantum to merit membership in any particular tribe. ... " Likewise, in addition to a one-fourth blood quantum requirement, one band of the Lake Superior Chippewa Indians requires descendancy from a member listed on the tribal census of either 1928 or 1940. ... Of the principal methods of ascribing genetic characteristics to specific ethnic groups, it is clear that: (1) variant analysis has little power to identify the ethnicity of individuals; (2) EAE, though more powerful than variant analysis, requires additional refinements and has not yet been successfully applied to Indian populations; and (3) identification of private polymorphisms, particularly via Y-chromosome and mtDNA analysis, is an accepted means to define the common genetic characteristics of an ethnic group, and an accurate means to determine whether an individual has some degree of Indian ancestry. ...

              Good luck with your writing, if you'd like to share contracts and resources, just let me know!

              Cheers,

              Christel

              In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com, stefaniedunning@... wrote:

[...]

            • Philip Arnell

                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 9, 2006
                  Hi Christel,

                  My name is Philip Arnell and there are perhaps 2 theories to your asian appearance. The first theory is that Asians did come to this country before columbus, even the africans did too so I have heard. So there is a possibility that somewhere in your lineage there may have been an asian influence. The second is that native americans do have an asian lineage, just like people from india. They allegedly are a cross between africans and asians and this is what was produced. There is more to the story, but I am basically giving you the upfront part.

                  I am a carib american, I have researched my family as far as 500 years on my mothers side and about 300 years on my fathers. It has been documented and inducted into 3 museums thus far. if you would like to see it I will send it to you. It would be from a website called "yousendit.com". Do you think that I could put it on this email? Would it go through?

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 9, 2006
                    RE: Likewise, in addition to a one-fourth blood quantum requirement, one band of the Lake Superior Chippewa Indians requires descendancy from a member listed on the tribal census of either 1928 or 1940. ...

                    I read this book called "Night Flying Woman" by Ignatia Broker. "Night Flying Woman" is about the Ojibway history and family memories passed down to Ignatia. Ignatia briefly discusses her own life but I think she could have discussed more about what life is like, in modern times, for the Ojibway in urban areas and how she developed her own sense of self and culture while being so far from her roots. Anyways, Ignatia goes into what life was life, early in American history for the Ojibway and how things changed with modernization, pressures by Christian churches encroaching on their way of life, and by the dominance of European culture & values on the Ojibway. Reading "Night Flying Woman" you get a good sense of how the blood quantum laws developed... And not only blood quantum but also how the sense of identity, what it meant to be Ojibway changed. What I liked about "Night Flying Woman" is that it is written in a very personal narrative, you feel like Ignatia is speaking right to you.

                    Blessings, Lynn

                    Ignatia Broker (Ni-BO-WI-SE-GWE) , 1919-1987

                    Ojibwe

                    Ignatia Broker was concerned with bridging generation gaps for the Ojibway. She was born on the White Earth Reservation in Minnesota in 1919 and died in 1987. She attended the Indian boarding school at Wahpeton Indian Boarding School in North Dakota. Broker was an Ojibway elder and storyteller. Over the course of her life she worked to educate the public about Native American people. She founded the Minnesota Indian Historical Society. She was involved with the Upper Midwest American Indian Center in Minneapolis. She wrote the Night Flying Woman, a story rich in Ojibway traditions. Broker died in 1987.
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 9, 2006
                      Hi Christel,

                      Welcome to Generation-Mixed!

                      We are happy to have you here and are truly looking
                      forward to a lot of great conversations with you !!:)

                      --M

                      Hi ... all!,

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 9, 2006

                        Hi Philip,

                        Welcome to Gen-Mixed!!:)

                        We are happy to have you here and wanted to let you know
                        that you (and any other member, as well) can also feel free
                        to include the information from your family geneaology
                        (and other research materials) in the 'Photos', 'Files',
                        'Links' and other folder sections as well if you'd like.

                        Have a great day!!

                        -- M

                        Philip Arnell <trigueno03@...> wrote:

                        Hi ...,

                        My name is Philip Arnell and ...
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 9, 2006
                          Thanks M! It is a pleasure to meet you and I am going to send you the 2 documents. The smaller one is still a work in progress and the biggerone is more complete. These are projects that will nevere be finished becasue there is always something to add on to them both old and new. The documents will come form a website called "yousendit.com"

                          Philip

                          Hi Philip,

                          Welcome to Gen-Mixed!!:)

                          We are happy to have you here and wanted to let you know
                          that you (and any other member, as well) can also feel free
                          to include the information from your family geneaology
                          (and other research materials) in the 'Photos', 'Files',
                          'Links' and other folder sections as well if you'd like.

                          Have a great day!!

                          -- M

                          Philip Arnell <trigueno03@...> wrote:
                          Hi ...,

                          My name is Philip Arnell and ...
                          I am a carib american, I have researched my family as far as
                          500 years on my mothers side and about 300 years on my fathers.
                          It has been documented and inducted into 3 museums thus far.
                          if you would like to see it I will send it to you. ...

                          http://mail.yahoo.com

                        • Peter Barrett
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 9, 2006
                            Hello and welcome,

                            Yes I saw the special and thought it was very interesting.
                            I have yet to do the percentage test.
                            I have had my maternal and parternal DNA tested.
                            My maternal seems strongest in Senegal and my paternal
                            is European but haven't been given a region as of yet.

                            I knew I had European Ancestry on both sides
                            just didn't know where. I have no idea how much.
                            I look “black That is the thing about Mixed people there
                            can be an array of looks in one family as we all now.

                            I have never viewed myself as mixed even though
                            know I have a Mixed Ancestry. If look like
                            what you are you can't be anything else.
                            Which we know what that type of thinking has done.

                            It was interesting about Senegal to me, since some
                            of my maternal ancestors came from North Carolina
                            which had a large number of Senegambian slaves
                            there. My Creole ancestry also has roots from
                            Senegal. Many of the slaves that went to Louisiana
                            were Wolof women and Banmara men. Of course you
                            had some come from the Congo as well. The majority
                            was Senegal and Mali. Some Creoles carry the name
                            Senegal as a family name with many spellings.

                            Please let us know your results when you get them.

                            Peter

                            stefaniedunning@... wrote:

[...]

                          • Alicia McCoy

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jun 11, 2006
                                    Hi Christel and everyone,

                                    Sorry I didn't write back sooner, Cristel, but I had to take a colleague's
                                    class unexpectedly because she was in a horrible car accident.

                                    With the new baby and suddenly having to teach, I've been under water.

                                    I am going to check out the website you mention. I'll have more to say anon.

                                    Stef