New to the group

  • Alicia McCoy
    Message 1 of 27 , May 7 5:05 PM
      Hi, my name is Alicia McCoy, I am 31, married and I am a first generation mixed- race person. I am not completely sure of my full heritage, since my  birth mother is somewhat of a habitual liar. However, from what I do know, I am Irish, Black, and  Sicillian according to her. She herself is full blooded Irish, born and raised in Dublin, from the top of her red curly hair, to her palest of pale white skin with tons of freckles.  I have a confused complexion, it's not quite hi-yellow, or red-bone, but a complete mixture of the two with lots of olive overtones in between. I have two beautiful little girls as a result of my marriage to a handsome chocolate brother, who is Irish, Black, and American Indian himself. I am hoping to speak with others out there who may be like me.

      Message 2 of 27 , May 7 5:29 PM

        Hi Alicia,

        Welcome to 'Generation-Mixed'!!!  :)

        We are very excited to see that you have become a part of our online
        community and sure that you will find ample opportunity to meet and
        converse with many people with whom you may most definitely relate!!;;)

        Welcome again and have a great day!!

        -- M

        P.S.

        Do you live in The States? If so ... have you ever visited Ireland?
        Also -- feel free to add any photos you'd liekt o our 'photos' section.

        Re: New to the group

        Message 3 of 27 , May 7 11:44 PM
          Welcome Alicia!

          I am glad you found our group, and look forward to talking with you :)

          Have you heard of the R&B/Soul singer named Blu Cantrell? You may feel a connection to her lineage?
          Blu sings "Hit Em Up Style (Ooops)", the video is hilarious. In the video, Blu gets revenge on her cheating
          b/f by going on a shopping spree with his credit cards, and treating herself good in all the ways he never did.
          Blu is mixed--she is Italian American and African American.
          Her website is: blucantrell.com

          As far as your complexion goes... When my daughter, Jaelynn,
          was dedicated in the church, the pastor read from Psalm 139:

          13 For you created my inmost being;
              you knit me together in my mother's womb.

          14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
              your works are wonderful,
              I know that full well.

          15 My frame was not hidden from you
              when I was made in the secret place.
              When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,

          16 your eyes saw my unformed body.
              All the days ordained for me
              were written in your book
              before one of them came to be.

          17 How precious to [b] me are your thoughts, O God!
              How vast is the sum of them!

          18 Were I to count them,
              they would outnumber the grains of sand.
              When I awake,
              I am still with you.

          http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search==Psalm+139

          It has always stayed with me that every person on this Earth is unique, and different
          from anyone else. That's not a mistake. We are "wonderfully made" as Scripture says.
          In fact, every ancient belief and major religion has poetry, verse and proclamations of the
          wonder and beauty of God's creation. You are a part of that, Alicia. Every one of us is.
          So your complexion is not really "confused"--it's just
          what makes you Alicia. What makes you special :)

          Blessings, Lynn
        • Alicia McCoy

            Message 5 of 27 , Nov 12, 2006
              First, I am really excited that I was asked to join this group.
              I really needed a place where I could explore/
              discuss my feelings as a Mixed Race individual.

              Now I'll tell you a little about my
              plight as a Mixed woman who is still
              (unfortunately) confused about her race.

              A little blurb about my "race":

              Mom is -let me try to find the correct term-
              um, too hard. lol .. I'll stick with Multiracial.
              Her father is Native American (she never knew
              him) and her mom had multiracial lineage
              (black, white, and NA- the usual.
              I don't know much about my father's
              family so I can only go on looks.
              Both of his parents had fair skin with light
              colored hair/eyes, but were considered “black”.

              I grew up in a predominately white area in Virginia.
              I thought that everyone assumed I was “black” because
              no one ever questioned me about my race and because
              my parents consider themselves to be black.

              It wasn't until I went to college
              that I had my ‘identity crisis’.

              I realized that people perceived me
              in a different way than back home.
              The girls immediately asked "What are you?"
              and I was totally confused by that question.
              No one had ever asked me that before.
              My answer was black, but they
              didn't take that as an answer.
              Then, I was lumped in the "Mix girl" group.

              I want to thank you guys for clarifying
              that being Mixed doesn't always mean that
              your parents are two different races.

              I tried explaining this to my Mixed/Biracial friends.

              They often tell me I'm not Mixed because
              my parents aren't two different races.

              I'm still coming to terms with being Multiracial.
              I often switch between saying I'm “black” or Mixed.
              Sometimes other races if I want to throw people off :)

              Well, I know that I've bored you to
              death with my Mixed complex. lol.

              Thanks for lending an ear,

              Message 6 of 27 , Nov 12, 2006
                [[["I tried explaining this to my Mixed/Biracial friends.
                They often tell me I'm not Mixed because
                my parents aren't two different races."]]] color

                Ask your mixed friends if they had a child with
                another mixed person what would that child be.

                I bet they wouldn't know how to answer ;)

                You know, a Creole friend of mine once told
                me that the way she sees it (paraphrased)
                she's 'Colored' but not "black".

                "Colored" meaning not-white and 'of Mixed
                ancestry', but not "black" in the sense
                of mostly subsaharan African descent.

                She doesn't relate to the black experience
                or the more mainstream 'black' cultural
                attitudes, behavior and expressions.

                Now her sister who is more "involved" in
                the traditional ['black'] identity, sees
                herself as black with French ancestry.

                I suppose both are correct
                depending on one's point of view.

                Message 7 of 27 , Nov 12, 2006

                  Hi Pocadot,

                  Welcome to 'Gen-Mixed'! :)

                  We are so
                  glad to have you here and to see that
                  you have decided to become a part of our online
                  community
                  and, thus, to become a 'Gen-Mixer'.=D>

                  This is a great group and we are sure
                  you will have the chance to meet a
                  lot of fantastic new friends here!!

                  Thank you for sharing your personal and family
                  history / lineage with us --- and we are really
                  looking forward to hearing more from you!!

                  Welcome again -- and have a great day!!!

                  --M

                  P.S. As a Mixed-Race person who is also of
                  an MGM-Mixed Lineage, you may find the
                  links below to be of particular interest. ;;)

                  [MGM-Mixed=Multi-Generational Multiracially-Mixed]

                  Discussion Thread Summaries:

                  On Mixed-Race Types:

                  On MGM-Mixed Lineage:

                  On Mixed-Race Support:

                  On the Unique Situation of MGM-Mixed
                  Mixed-Race people who lived in VA & LA:

                  On Racial Manipulation and Mis-categorization
                  by the Census Bureau & Political Movements:

                  On having an Amerindian Ancestry:

                  On the rather unique situation of the AA `Ethnic' Group:

                  On Skin Color &. Full-Lineage:

                  Examples of a few MGM-Mixed / Mixed-Race families from VA:

                  Historical and Famous Mixed-Race People:

                  Media Representations of Mixed-Race People & Relationships:

                  Recommended Reading

                  Message 8 of 27 , Nov 12, 2006

                    Hi Pocadot,

                    Seeing that you once lived in Virginia, here is
                    one more link you might find to be of interest!!
                    :-?:

                    Have a great day!!

                    --- M

[...]

                  • tlbaker1
                    Message 9 of 27 , Nov 12, 2006
                      Hi Pocadot,

                      Welcome to the group!

                      Lynne

                      Message 10 of 27 , Nov 13, 2006
                        One thing is for sure, our positions are open
                        to interpretation, there is no one right answer,
                        just the one we like the best or are most comfortable with.
                        With the exception I'd say, of denial. That just isn't healthy.

                        Welcome

                        Message 11 of 27 , Nov 14, 2006
                          I don't think I want to call myself
                          "colored" in this day and age, LOLOLOL.
                          I might get a few odd looks and people
                          might ask me if I know what year we
                          are living in, but that's just me.

                          My political racial 'identification' is
                          "black" (and I didn't know I could do that
                          until joining this group, thank you all!!),
                          the technical, scientific,genetic definition
                          of my ancestry is Mixed-Race - MGM to be exact.

                          Everyone is entitled to 'identify' themselves
                          as they wish, thank goodness for 2006!!!!
                          We can now fill out our own census forms.
                          When is the next census 2010??

                          Lynne

                          BTW, Dustin, I love your screen name,
                          it is the cutest thing I have ever seen,
                          docilechicken24, how did you come up w/it?

                          Lynne

                            Message 13 of 27 , Nov 15, 2006

                              LOLOLOL, another blast from the past.  Someone called me a redbone once!!

                              Lynne

                              Message 14 of 27 , Nov 15, 2006
                                LOL  Well when I went to the Bahamas a man was trying to get my attention and said " Hey, mango skinned girl c'mere!!"

                                Gina

                                  pocadot83 <pocadot83@. ..> wrote:

[...]

                                  Send instant messages to your online friends http://au.messenger .yahoo.com

                                • TLBaker
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Nov 16, 2006

                                    That's definitely a new one.
                                      Do think they will amend the census
                                    forms to include this racial category??

                                    Lynne

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Nov 16, 2006
                                      I can see it now - mangoskin.com

                                      ;)

                                      pocadot83 <pocadot83@. ..> wrote:

[...]

                                      Sponsored Link

                                      Mortgage rates near historic lows - Refi $200k loan for only $660/ month - Click now for info

                                    • tlbaker1
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Nov 17, 2006

                                        LOLOLOL, we are on a roll here, keep it up it is fun!!!!!!

                                        Lynne

                                        From: Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Nov 17, 2006
                                          better yet - mangolicious!

                                          Still invoking beige privledge,
                                          Jeff

                                          From: Generation-Mixed@ yahoogroups. com

                                          Message 20 of 27 , Nov 17, 2006

                                            mango's are orange, LOLOL....  So it is more of redbone priviledge...........

                                            From: Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com

                                            From: Generation-Mixed@ yahoogroups. com

                                            Message 21 of 27 , Nov 20, 2006

                                              I love the mango-color description better. Its more juicer and spicier.
                                            • Nikki
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Mar 12, 2007
                                                Hello I am from a multigenerational mixed family.
                                                I myself am multiculturally mixed and have 2 biracial children.
                                                I am very interested in reading about what this group has to offer.
                                                I am now divorced and no longer have my ex (his choice)
                                                involved in the upbringing of my children.
                                                My children are Black, Irish , German, American Indian.
                                                For those who are biracial or multicultural like
                                                my children, especially those who may have been
                                                without their biological parent....How are you?
                                                It is obvious one would miss their parent, but what
                                                can I do as a Mother to give them an unbiased life.
                                                I want them to love their blackness without
                                                denying their white lineage and vice-versa.

                                                Thanks!
                                                Nikki
                                              • mulatta_loca
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Mar 12, 2007
                                                  Welcome! I am multiracial: white/black/latina.
                                                  I grew up with both my parents, but due to problems
                                                  they had with their own identities, they were
                                                  unable to help me feel positive about myself.
                                                  Luckily I had good friends and common sense, so
                                                  I did not become ashamed of my racial background.
                                                  So, my point is that I don't think a person
                                                  needs two parents to learn to love themselves.
                                                  One proud parent is better than two self-hating ones.

                                                  "Nikki" <msspencer1972@...> wrote:

                                                  Hello I am from a multigenerational mixed family.
                                                  I myself am multiculturally mixed and have 2 biracial children.
                                                  I am very interested in reading about what this group has to offer.
                                                  I am now divorced and no longer have my ex (his choice)
                                                  involved in the upbringing of my children.
                                                  My children are Black, Irish , German, American Indian.
                                                  For those who are biracial or multicultural like
                                                  my children, especially those who may have been
                                                  without their biological parent....How are you?
                                                  It is obvious one would miss their parent, but what
                                                  can I do as a Mother to give them an unbiased life.
                                                  I want them to love their blackness without
                                                  denying their white lineage and vice-versa.

                                                  Thanks!
                                                  Nikki
                                                • Yvette
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Mar 13, 2007
                                                    Nice to meet you, Nikki. As an adult who was raised with a family of
                                                    Black, Puerto Rican, Mexican & Irish relatives, the best thing you
                                                    can do is help your kids embrace every part of their backgrounds.
                                                    I feel special knowing that my roots have a "rich" history
                                                    of people loving others who were different in various ways.
                                                    I think it helps teach kids tolerance for others
                                                    who are different, as well as helping them learn
                                                    about other cultures, countries, faiths, etc.

                                                    Nikki <msspencer1972@...> wrote:

                                                    Hello I am from a multigenerational mixed family.
                                                    I myself am multiculturally mixed and have 2 biracial children.
                                                    I am very interested in reading about what this group has to offer.
                                                    I am now divorced and no longer have my ex (his choice)
                                                    involved in the upbringing of my children.
                                                    My children are Black, Irish , German, American Indian.
                                                    For those who are biracial or multicultural like
                                                    my children, especially those who may have been
                                                    without their biological parent....How are you?
                                                    It is obvious one would miss their parent, but what
                                                    can I do as a Mother to give them an unbiased life.
                                                    I want them to love their blackness without
                                                    denying their white lineage and vice-versa.

                                                    Thanks!
                                                    Nikki

                                                  • lonniesdrm
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Mar 15, 2007
                                                      Osiyo (Greetings)!

                                                      I am also new to this group.
                                                      I am of mixed heritage, my maternal grandparents are from
                                                      the Eastern Band of the Cherokee Nation. My father is
                                                      African-American and that is about all I know about him.
                                                      My maternal grandfather explained to me about our family's
                                                      oral history. They escaped the Trail of Tears (forced removal to
                                                      Oklahoma) and settled in SW Virginia. When the state of Virginia
                                                      put Plecker in as Registrar for Vital Statistics, they moved to NY.

                                                      I grew up in a multi-cultural city (Brooklyn) where there are many
                                                      people of mixed heritage. I got called "high yellow" and "red"
                                                      because I look like my Cherokee family. I am olive/brown complected
                                                      with dark brown hair and eyes. I remember going shopping with my
                                                      mother (who was quite a shrewd trader) and listening to people speak
                                                      to us in Spanish because of how we looked. They never suspected that
                                                      we were Indians living in the city. We got quite a kick out of it!

                                                      Traditional Lady

                                                      "Nikki" <msspencer1972@> wrote:

                                                      Hello I am from a multigenerational mixed family.
                                                      I myself am multiculturally mixed and have 2 biracial children.
                                                      I am very interested in reading about what this group has to offer.
                                                      I am now divorced and no longer have my ex (his choice)
                                                      involved in the upbringing of my children.
                                                      My children are Black, Irish , German, American Indian.
                                                      For those who are biracial or multicultural like
                                                      my children, especially those who may have been
                                                      without their biological parent....How are you?
                                                      It is obvious one would miss their parent, but what
                                                      can I do as a Mother to give them an unbiased life.
                                                      I want them to love their blackness without
                                                      denying their white lineage and vice-versa.

                                                      Thanks!
                                                      Nikki
                                                    • Heather
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Mar 17, 2007
                                                        ~~~Welcome!~~~ My name is Heather and I have a 14-yr. old son.
                                                        I am in the process of searching and learning about my eastern
                                                        indian roots, as well. My son is part "black," part 'white' and
                                                        part "indian" (native american). We, too, have a sorted background
                                                        that includes many great stories and customs (at least on my son's
                                                        side of things). I have yet to "pin down" anything definite about my
                                                        maternal side of the (indian) family. It's frustrating, but I'm not
                                                        a quitter=) Never have been-lol! This is just one more hurdle that
                                                        I know I will overcome. You will really like the group! There's
                                                        a wealth of information, ideas, advice and really super people=)
                                                        If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Take care! Heather

                                                        "Nikki" <msspencer1972@> wrote:

                                                        Hello I am from a multigenerational mixed family.
                                                        I myself am multiculturally mixed and have 2 biracial children.
                                                        I am very interested in reading about what this group has to offer.
                                                        I am now divorced and no longer have my ex (his choice)
                                                        involved in the upbringing of my children.
                                                        My children are Black, Irish , German, American Indian.
                                                        For those who are biracial or multicultural like
                                                        my children, especially those who may have been
                                                        without their biological parent....How are you?
                                                        It is obvious one would miss their parent, but what
                                                        can I do as a Mother to give them an unbiased life.
                                                        I want them to love their blackness without
                                                        denying their white lineage and vice-versa.

                                                        Thanks!
                                                        Nikki
                                                      • danicolegirl
                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Apr 17, 2007
                                                          I am new and thank you for the chance
                                                          to voice my opinions in this group.
                                                          I am half Creole and black, but I also pretty sure
                                                          that I have White and Native American in my ancestory