Re: Creoles

    Message 1 of 2 , May 6 12:02 AM
      Hi Friends-

      Just an interesting thought that came to mind...

      My friend Lilian is Algerian but lives in the US. Lilian has lived and
      travelled all over the world. When Lilian lived in LA (a while back--
      she is much older than me) people always thought she was Creole.

      She said her house was fire bombed by the KKK because she did
      work with civil rights groups, and they also thought she was "black".

      Now Lilian has blue hair...she usually wears casual
      clothes but sometimes she will wear African dresses.
      She is a really interesting person.

      Here is a link with her photo:
      "High Strangeness" is the name of her public access TV show
      h ttp://highstrangeness.tv/

      Lacey mobile home red-tagged (Lilian lost her
      home in a sink hole after the Nisqually Quake)
      http://news.theolympian.com/eqarchive/314/11766.shtml

      I also wrote a "found poem" from a section of
      Lilian's book that I will put at the end of this letter.

      :) Lynn

      Reflections on Life in General
      Found Poem By: Lynn Mari, ©2006

      And the Moral of the Story is...
      One Person at a Time, page 164.
      -- Author: Lilian Mustelier.

      (We reflected on life in general)
      How we come here
      to do something and
      sometimes it takes so long to realize that.

      How we are a little speck of the universe
      and how everything we do affects
      someone or something else in the big picture.
      How the universe is connected.
      How we are all equally important
      and only if we dismiss ego,
      can we take our rightful place
      in the manner in which it was intended.
      How we need good and evil both
      to draw a balance.
      How we live in a very exciting time,
      being able to witness what we pray for.

      "Let your will be done in heaven as it is on earth."
      Granted, many don't understand what that means,
      and with so much negativity in the world,
      the things we are fed by some supermarket papers.

      The end of the world...DOOMSDAY...
      It is surprising that anyone tries to do anything
      good and decent.

      Why pay bills,
      Why get a job
      Why anything...
      These are just signs
      of the times...
      Being told something is one thing.
      Comprehending is another.
      Acting is a third
      So it does take some of us longer
      to understand.

    • Creativlit
      Message 2 of 2 , May 14 7:35 AM
        That was interesting reading about
        the different types of Creole people.
        I can trace my linage to the year 1622 in France.
        My ancestors were people who had purchased their way
        into the nobility as shipping merchants in France.
        When the French Revolution happened they were thrown in
        the Bastille where they paid ransoms to be smuggled onto
        ships. In my family the two Fremont brothers were smuggled
        to New Orleans, Louisiana. They became salt miners and
        regained some of their lost wealth. This helped them
        set up mercantile businesses in the New Orleans area.
        When I was reading much of the family research
        much of the French community was very closed.
        Marriages were arranged within this group.
        The one brother who was my direct great
        grandfather x4 or 5 cant remember exactly he moved
        to Chadwick, Missouri where he operated a store.
        A few family members intermarried with Native Americans there.
        My great, great grandfather died in a gun battle when he
        demanded a duel with my great grandmothers sisters boyfriend.
        They both died in the duel. He had been angry because the
        two wished to marry and the young man was not from
        the correct cultural group nor was it arranged.
        One thing I noted in the history is this particular group
        of French ancestors stayed for several generations in the
        Louisiana area and stayed in their tight knit community.
        It was really wrong at the time to stray
        in any way outside of this group.
        Interestingly those attitudes persist in my family to this day.
        My great grandmother moved with her husband to Twin Falls, Idaho
        in the great depression. She became a widow very soon after and
        raised 9 children alone. One child died at age 2 and would have
        been the tenth child. My grandmother married a man from
        Chadwick, Missouri also of the same linage. His family was
        French with Native intermarriage. My grandmother got pregnant
        with my father from a Native man from Canada but married
        another man to "cover" it up or protect herself I suppose.
        My fathers family also was strong French and Native
        ancestry with a few Irish and Welsh thrown in.
        The original French persons in my ancestry were the Fremonts.
        Many of them when they escaped France changed their
        last name to things like Freeman to show that they had
        escaped and some changed the name to Fremonte or Fremond
        to make the name look like it came from another origin.
        Many of them were afraid of persecution and being followed from
        France or being forced to go back there to face execution.
        I may be a mix of French and Indian but I have strong French facial
        features. My hair is very Native though. Long straight and coarse.
        I have the small nose though the eyes {blue though} the high cheeks.
        Brown eyes are more common in my family though.
        I had never though of myself as Creole though.
        Perhaps because I was born and raised in the North West
        and very far removed from the South and Louisiana.
        I do know that most of my family had very strong
        perceptions on race and color and marriage.
        To an extent I felt crossed the line into racism.
        I will never forget my one grandfather who said
        I was dead and never spoke to me again in my
        life because they felt my one child was "dark".
        That man would sit at a table with me
        and pass food by like I didn’t exist.
        My grandmother also cut ties with me after that child was born.
        My mother always made comments about how blue eyes and blonde
        were always better. She would lighten my hair as a kid.
        I always thought she was just kooky but I can see where
        that attitude persisted through the generations.
        Hopefully I have taught my children to be better people.

        Noreene