Re: [Generation-Mixed] Re: DNA

    Message 1 of 12 , May 3 11:49 PM
      Hello Friends,

      RE: Did you research your family history and find out more about yourself?

      In a nutshell, this is what happened to me...
      My Dad was escaping a painful past so he moved
      away from his family to the middle of nowhere.
      This town was so of African-Americans living there on one hand (and I knew them all).
      My Dad never talked about his past, never talked about his family.
      Then he ran off and left me with a lot of questions.
      In the meanwhile, I am truly a minority in this town--and through several
      experiences it is obvious that I am an outsider who will never be accepted.
      Not that I really cared...because I had such a strong sense of family in me that
      I felt called to find my missing relatives, and learn our history.
      Some of my Dad's sibling did get in touch with me, and I was able to connect with them.
      And when I turned 18 I really began to research my family, gather lost relatives
      and even travel to the backroads of AL where my family line began.

      So it was not just research but also a calling. And part of my
      calling was to remember my family, and write down our stories.

      The biggest challenge I face is getting through the secrets.
      It literally feels like a wall has been put up of "Don't Talk About .....".
      My research has now involved my own journey of self-awareness and healing. I have had
      to develop the strength to speak the truth, without feeling guilty for telling the secrets.
      I also have had to heal my past, so I can be a strength and
      support for other family members. So it has been interesting!

      I wish you the best on your family search as well :)

      Blessings, Lynn

      Message 2 of 12 , May 4 12:22 AM
        Yes -- Lynn -- you most definitely have been given 'a calling' ...
        and also the talent, intelligence and skills to answer that 'calling'!! :)

        The poetry and prose that you have written is
        just about some of the best that I've ever seen!!!

        So please do keep up the great work that you have
        been doing and, thus, keep remaining a source of
        encouragement for us all with your quality work!! =D>

        In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com, wintyreeve@... wrote:

        Hello Friends,

        RE: Did you research your family history and find out more about yourself?

        In a nutshell ... it was not just research but also a calling. And part of