Re: DNA ... & 'Identity' (I.D.)

  • Peter Barrett
    Message 1 of 12 , May 3, 2006
      WOW! Is right.

      Lynn you are quite talented as other post have said.
      I didn't know you were an author.
      Your story about your family search I have
      heard before over my years of research.
      Although my relatives have somewhat acknowledged our mixture, some
      at the same time believe that it doesn't matter or affect them.

      I say our history always matters.

      I'm an oral tradition storyteller by occupation myself.
      I will look for a poem that I think all would appreciate on this site.

      Agreed! 100%, Peter!

      In addition, Lynn's poem –- `The Secret River' (found at the
      link below) -- is still one of the most truthful and powerful
      essays that I have ever read on the matter of the right to
      personally-claim and publicly-proclaim one's FULL ancestry.

      In addition, I also feel that it helps to provide some really
      interesting insight on why many `Multi'-racial/Mixed-Race
      people of a given previous generation may have chose
      to "pass" themselves off as being `mono'-racial and
      or simply as socio-politically "identifying" as such).

      Have you had a chance to read `The Secret River' yet?

      "Peter Barrett" <barac1998@> wrote:

      It is very refreshing that you are
      taking that approach toward your identity.

      I know many of my family members don't see it that way.
      Did you research your family history
      and find out more about yourself?

      I knew some things about my family but didn't
      know where things may have occurred or even what.

      You do have to look at history right in the face.
      What has happened, has happened and nothing will change it.
      If our ancestors could live through it we should
      certainly be able to own it and talk about.

      One of my ancestors was owned by her father along with her
      mother and siblings. They were emancipated upon his death.
      There is a sense of strength when knowing
      the path of at least some of you ancestors.

      In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
      "lynn" <wintyreeve@> wrote:

      But being mixed--I feel a need to confront the past, whatever
      it is. I can't just cut off part of my identity--who I am.
      What I can do is shape the life I live
      now, and what I pass on to my kids.
      And the fighter in me is proud to say I am White too
      --even if way back when someone was a slave holder.
      I am going to take that lineage, that history and own it.
      In acknowledging who I am, and acknowledging where I
      came from ...I feel I am taking back my identity,
      and giving my family back our sense of self.
      We are who we are, no longer being controlled by shame or fear.
      Message 2 of 12 , May 3, 2006
        Hello Friends,

        RE: Did you research your family history and find out more about yourself?

        In a nutshell, this is what happened to me...
        My Dad was escaping a painful past so he moved
        away from his family to the middle of nowhere.
        This town was so of African-Americans living there on one hand (and I knew them all).
        My Dad never talked about his past, never talked about his family.
        Then he ran off and left me with a lot of questions.
        In the meanwhile, I am truly a minority in this town--and through several
        experiences it is obvious that I am an outsider who will never be accepted.
        Not that I really cared...because I had such a strong sense of family in me that
        I felt called to find my missing relatives, and learn our history.
        Some of my Dad's sibling did get in touch with me, and I was able to connect with them.
        And when I turned 18 I really began to research my family, gather lost relatives
        and even travel to the backroads of AL where my family line began.

        So it was not just research but also a calling. And part of my
        calling was to remember my family, and write down our stories.

        The biggest challenge I face is getting through the secrets.
        It literally feels like a wall has been put up of "Don't Talk About .....".
        My research has now involved my own journey of self-awareness and healing. I have had
        to develop the strength to speak the truth, without feeling guilty for telling the secrets.
        I also have had to heal my past, so I can be a strength and
        support for other family members. So it has been interesting!

        I wish you the best on your family search as well :)

        Blessings, Lynn

        Message 3 of 12 , May 4, 2006
          Yes -- Lynn -- you most definitely have been given 'a calling' ...
          and also the talent, intelligence and skills to answer that 'calling'!! :)

          The poetry and prose that you have written is
          just about some of the best that I've ever seen!!!

          So please do keep up the great work that you have
          been doing and, thus, keep remaining a source of
          encouragement for us all with your quality work!! =D>

          In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com, wintyreeve@... wrote:

          Hello Friends,

          RE: Did you research your family history and find out more about yourself?

          In a nutshell ... it was not just research but also a calling. And part of