Re: DNA

  • Peter Barrett
    Message 1 of 12 , May 3, 2006
      It is very refreshing that you are
      taking that approach toward your identity.
      I know many of my family members don't see it that way.
      Did you research your family history
      and find out more about yourself?

      I knew some things about my family but didn't
      know where things may have occurred or even what.
      You do have to look at history right in the face.
      What has happened, has happened and nothing will change it.
      If our ancestors could live through it we should
      certainly be able to own it and talk about.

      One of my ancestors was owned by her father along with her
      mother and siblings. They were emancipated upon his death.
      There is a sense of strength when knowing
      the path of at least some of you ancestors.

      In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
      “lynn” <wintyreeve@...> wrote:

      But being mixed--I feel a need to confront the past, whatever
      it is. I can't just cut off part of my identity--who I am.
      What I can do is shape the life I live
      now, and what I pass on to my kids.
      And the fighter in me is proud to say I am White too
      --even if way back when someone was a slave holder.
      I am going to take that lineage, that history and own it.
      In acknowledging who I am, and acknowledging where I
      came from ...I feel I am taking back my identity,
      and giving my family back our sense of self.
      We are who we are, no longer being controlled by shame or fear.
      Message 2 of 12 , May 3, 2006

        If I can adequately recall ... I think that ... (as Lynn's post had noted
        at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Generation-Mixed/message/1022)
        the DNA Tests given were able to determine both the 'amount' of the
        White, Asian or European lineage in the "African-Americans" tested
        ----- and they were also even able to specify (find the `hits' for)
        the exact or at least the near exact 'regions' of the continents
        from which the lineage was derived (ex. Ireland , Scotland ,
        France , -- in Europe; China , etc. -- in Asia; Northern
        Amerindian tribes -- in the Americas and so on.) as well.

        In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
        "Peter Barrett" <barac1998@...> wrote:

        I saw the last episode. I agree it was very interesting.
        I surprised that Gates test came out 50% European. I know that
        can happen. It seems that DNA is answering a lot of questions.
        I have been tracing my family history for years and want to
        see if DNA testing will help out with some of the roadblocks.

        Are there any Louisana Creoles here that have taken the test?
        I would be curious about anyone's finding, but especially the Creoles.

        It is my understanding they can only tell you if it is European
        for instance but not Western European to be specific, correct?

        Thanks for the feedback guys and the link
        for the test, I really appreciate it.

        Yes -- I was able to see it as well.

        It was called 'African-American Lives'
        and starred Dr. Henry Louis Gates, Jr.

        http://www.pbs.org/previews/africanamericanlives/

        It was a really good documentary.

        In fact, it was much better than and much more
        different from what the 'previews' of it would
        have led one to believe it would focus on.

        The 'previews' seemed to indicate that the documentary would
        discuss either 'only' or 'largely' the 'West African' lineage
        of the average person who was a member of the (largely
        'Multi'-Racial/Mixed-Race) Ethnic group currently being
        referred to by the misnomer of 'African-American' ...
        when, in actuality, the documentary instead showed how DNA
        testing often proves that the average 'African-American'
        actually more than likely has a rather very significant
        amount of Amerindian, European, and even Asian ancestry
        found in their familial bloodlines (as well as African).

        In fact, if memory serves me correctly -- didn't
        Gates discover that abouth half of his lineage was
        of White/European ancestry or something like that?

        One point that I thought was very interesting was the
        African-American woman (I think it was the professor)
        who had always been under the impression that her
        ancestral admixture was essentially West African
        and North Amerindian -- only to discover that, she
        too, had nearly one-half White/European lineage.

        And, I think it was Dr. Mae Jemmison (the astronaut) who
        was surprised to discover her Asian ancestry and noting
        how it just reminded her of how when she worked in Southeast
        Asia -- some  of her Asian collegues kept telling her how
        she looked so much like certain of their various relatives.

        In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
        Lynn <wintyreeve@> wrote:

        Hi Friends,

        I watched this show on PBS--forgot the name--about the
        college professor who began the DNA project to trace
        the ancestry of famous "black" people like Oprah &
        Chris Tucker to see what their racial ancestry was...
        and if their perceptions of their race matched the DNA.
        I thought it was so weird how the Professor was so proud
        to be "Black" and  when he found out, through DNA, that
        he has ancestry from Europe (England, Scotland) he
        didn't want to know about that side of his family.
        His whole focus  was on Africa.

        Did anyone see that documentary?

        Best, Lynn

        Message 3 of 12 , May 3, 2006
          Agreed! 100%, Peter!

          In addition, Lynn's poem –- `The Secret River' (found at the
          link below) -- is still one of the most truthful and powerful
          essays that I have ever read on the matter of the right to
          personally-claim and publicly-proclaim one's FULL ancestry.

          In addition, I also feel that it helps to provide some really
          interesting insight on why many `Multi'-racial/Mixed-Race
          people of a given previous generation may have chose
          to "pass" themselves off as being `mono'-racial and
          or simply as socio-politically "identifying" as such).

          Have you had a chance to read `The Secret River' yet?

          Message 4 of 12 , May 3, 2006
            WOW! Is right.

            Lynn you are quite talented as other post have said.
            I didn't know you were an author.
            Your story about your family search I have
            heard before over my years of research.
            Although my relatives have somewhat acknowledged our mixture, some
            at the same time believe that it doesn't matter or affect them.

            I say our history always matters.

            I'm an oral tradition storyteller by occupation myself.
            I will look for a poem that I think all would appreciate on this site.

            Message 5 of 12 , May 3, 2006
              Hello Friends,

              RE: Did you research your family history and find out more about yourself?

              In a nutshell, this is what happened to me...
              My Dad was escaping a painful past so he moved
              away from his family to the middle of nowhere.
              This town was so of African-Americans living there on one hand (and I knew them all).
              My Dad never talked about his past, never talked about his family.
              Then he ran off and left me with a lot of questions.
              In the meanwhile, I am truly a minority in this town--and through several
              experiences it is obvious that I am an outsider who will never be accepted.
              Not that I really cared...because I had such a strong sense of family in me that
              I felt called to find my missing relatives, and learn our history.
              Some of my Dad's sibling did get in touch with me, and I was able to connect with them.
              And when I turned 18 I really began to research my family, gather lost relatives
              and even travel to the backroads of AL where my family line began.

              So it was not just research but also a calling. And part of my
              calling was to remember my family, and write down our stories.

              The biggest challenge I face is getting through the secrets.
              It literally feels like a wall has been put up of "Don't Talk About .....".
              My research has now involved my own journey of self-awareness and healing. I have had
              to develop the strength to speak the truth, without feeling guilty for telling the secrets.
              I also have had to heal my past, so I can be a strength and
              support for other family members. So it has been interesting!

              I wish you the best on your family search as well :)

              Blessings, Lynn

              Message 6 of 12 , May 4, 2006
                Yes -- Lynn -- you most definitely have been given 'a calling' ...
                and also the talent, intelligence and skills to answer that 'calling'!! :)

                The poetry and prose that you have written is
                just about some of the best that I've ever seen!!!

                So please do keep up the great work that you have
                been doing and, thus, keep remaining a source of
                encouragement for us all with your quality work!! =D>

                In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com, wintyreeve@... wrote:

                Hello Friends,

                RE: Did you research your family history and find out more about yourself?

                In a nutshell ... it was not just research but also a calling. And part of