DNA

  • Peter Barrett
    Message 1 of 12 , May 2, 2006
      Has anyone taken the DNA percentage test? What are your thoughts on DNA
      testing? Has it been helpful to you?

      I have taken the maternal and paternal test, and have yet to take the
      peercentage test. Can anyone recommend a reasonabale company?

      Pete
      Message 2 of 12 , May 2, 2006
        I took it and it gave me closure to some questions which lack of documentation never answered.
        it cost around $200.00 and seems to be pretty accurate based on the research I studied.
        I used these guys and it took about 6 weeks as I recall
        http://www.dnaprint.com/welcome/productsandservices/anestrybydna/

        Message 3 of 12 , May 2, 2006
          Hi Friends,

          I watched this show on PBS--forgot the name--about the college professor who began the DNA project to trace the ancestry of famous "black" people like Oprah & Chris Tucker to see what their racial ancestry was...and if their perceptions of their race matched the DNA.
          I thought it was so weird how the Professor was so proud to be "Black" and when he found out, through DNA, that he has ancestry from Europe (England, Scotland) he didn't want to know about that side of his family. His whole focus was on Africa.

          Did anyone see that documentary?

          Best, Lynn
          Message 4 of 12 , May 2, 2006
            Yes -- I was able to see it as well.

            It was called 'African-American Lives'
            and starred Dr. Henry Louis Gates, Jr.

            http://www.pbs.org/previews/africanamericanlives/

            It was a really good documentary.

            In fact, it was much better than and much more
            different from what the 'previews' of it would
            have led one to believe it would focus on.

            The 'previews' seemed to indicate that the documentary would
            discuss either 'only' or 'largely' the 'West African' lineage
            of the average person who was a member of the (largely
            'Multi'-Racial/Mixed-Race) Ethnic group currently being
            referred to by the misnomer of 'African-American' ...
            when, in actuality, the documentary instead showed how DNA
            testing often proves that the average 'African-American'
            actually more than likely has a rather very significant
            amount of Amerindian, European, and even Asian ancestry
            found in their familial bloodlines (as well as African).

            In fact, if memory serves me correctly -- didn't
            Gates discover that abouth half of his lineage was
            of White/European ancestry or something like that?

            One point that I thought was very interesting was the
            African-American woman (I think it was the professor)
            who had always been under the impression that her
            ancestral admixture was essentially West African
            and North Amerindian -- only to discover that, she
            too, had nearly one-half White/European lineage.

            And, I think it was Dr. Mae Jemmison (the astronaut) who
            was surprised to discover her Asian ancestry and noting
            how it just reminded her of how when she worked in Southeast
            Asia -- some of her Asian collegues kept telling her how
            she looked so much like certain of their various relatives.

            Message 5 of 12 , May 2, 2006
              Question:

              In fact, if memory serves me correctly -- didn't
              Gates discover that abouth half of his lineage was
              of White/European ancestry or something like that? color

              Answer:

              Gates family, when they did the DNA tests, had a
              lot of hits in Europe, Scotland and I think France.

              The test was really sophisticated. You took a DNA sample then it was matched
              by similiar characteristics with other racial groups, who were plotted on a map.
              The DNA mapping was only as accurate as the number of samples
              collected, because that offered a pool of information/genetics.

              When Gates discovered his White lineage, he did not delve into it.
              He looked past it, acknowledged it, then focused on Africa.

              I LOVED the documentary--the work he did was just unbelievable.
              Not to mention that Gates was teaching at the same time, and
              really bringing new awareness and information in the class room.

              However, I felt that Gates had a bias or a lack of interest in his White lineage.
              He knew it was there but really didn't take the time
              to study it, or research it. He just focused on Africa.

              It's not the most comfortable thing to look at your family and see that someone
              has done something awful--especially to think that your lineage could have been a result
              of rape, and your grandmother was kept in slavery & humiliated in the worst ways.

              But being mixed--I feel a need to confront the past, whatever it is.
              I can't just cut off part of my identity--who I am.
              What I can do is shape the life I live now, and what I pass on to my kids.
              And the fighter in me is proud to say I am White too--
              even if way back when someone was a slave holder.
              I am going to take that lineage, that history and own it.
              In acknowledging who I am, and acknowledging where I came from...I feel
              I am taking back my identity, and giving my family back our sense of self.
              We are who we are, no longer being controlled by shame or fear.

              What did you think about Chris Tucker returning to Africa,
              and the village where his ancestors once lived?
              All that came to my mind--over and over--was how many times Chris had used
              the n word, and made racist jokes and just put himself out there in a rude way.
              he's lucky those villagers did not have a TV or see his movies.
              Because they probably would have a lot to say to him--and not
              want him to represent their people, their family in that way.
              But that was an amazing journey too...

              What can I say...you gotta see this documentary :)

              Lynn

              For some Americans, the essential question - "Where do I come from?"
              - cannot be answered; their history has been lost or stolen.
              But through genealogical research and groundbreaking DNA analysis,
              AFRICAN AMERICAN LIVES not only provides a transformational discovery
              for several prominent African Americans, but also serves as an example for
              all Americans of the empowerment derived from knowing their heritage.

            • Peter Barrett
              Message 6 of 12 , May 3, 2006
                I saw the last episode. I agree it was very interesting.
                I surprised that Gates test came out 50% European. I know that
                can happen. It seems that DNA is answering a lot of questions.
                I have been tracing my family history for years and want to
                see if DNA testing will help out with some of the roadblocks.

                Are there any Louisana Creoles here that have taken the test?
                I would be curious about anyone's finding, but especially the Creoles.

                It is my understanding they can only tell you if it is European
                for instance but not Western European to be specific, correct?

                Thanks for the feedback guys and the link
                for the test, I really appreciate it.

                Message 7 of 12 , May 3, 2006
                  It is very refreshing that you are
                  taking that approach toward your identity.
                  I know many of my family members don't see it that way.
                  Did you research your family history
                  and find out more about yourself?

                  I knew some things about my family but didn't
                  know where things may have occurred or even what.
                  You do have to look at history right in the face.
                  What has happened, has happened and nothing will change it.
                  If our ancestors could live through it we should
                  certainly be able to own it and talk about.

                  One of my ancestors was owned by her father along with her
                  mother and siblings. They were emancipated upon his death.
                  There is a sense of strength when knowing
                  the path of at least some of you ancestors.

                  Message 8 of 12 , May 3, 2006

                    If I can adequately recall ... I think that ... (as Lynn's post had noted
                    at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Generation-Mixed/message/1022)
                    the DNA Tests given were able to determine both the 'amount' of the
                    White, Asian or European lineage in the "African-Americans" tested
                    ----- and they were also even able to specify (find the `hits' for)
                    the exact or at least the near exact 'regions' of the continents
                    from which the lineage was derived (ex. Ireland , Scotland ,
                    France , -- in Europe; China , etc. -- in Asia; Northern
                    Amerindian tribes -- in the Americas and so on.) as well.

                    Message 9 of 12 , May 3, 2006
                      Agreed! 100%, Peter!

                      In addition, Lynn's poem –- `The Secret River' (found at the
                      link below) -- is still one of the most truthful and powerful
                      essays that I have ever read on the matter of the right to
                      personally-claim and publicly-proclaim one's FULL ancestry.

                      In addition, I also feel that it helps to provide some really
                      interesting insight on why many `Multi'-racial/Mixed-Race
                      people of a given previous generation may have chose
                      to "pass" themselves off as being `mono'-racial and
                      or simply as socio-politically "identifying" as such).

                      Have you had a chance to read `The Secret River' yet?

                      Message 10 of 12 , May 3, 2006
                        WOW! Is right.

                        Lynn you are quite talented as other post have said.
                        I didn't know you were an author.
                        Your story about your family search I have
                        heard before over my years of research.
                        Although my relatives have somewhat acknowledged our mixture, some
                        at the same time believe that it doesn't matter or affect them.

                        I say our history always matters.

                        I'm an oral tradition storyteller by occupation myself.
                        I will look for a poem that I think all would appreciate on this site.

                        Message 11 of 12 , May 3, 2006
                          Hello Friends,

                          RE: Did you research your family history and find out more about yourself?

                          In a nutshell, this is what happened to me...
                          My Dad was escaping a painful past so he moved
                          away from his family to the middle of nowhere.
                          This town was so of African-Americans living there on one hand (and I knew them all).
                          My Dad never talked about his past, never talked about his family.
                          Then he ran off and left me with a lot of questions.
                          In the meanwhile, I am truly a minority in this town--and through several
                          experiences it is obvious that I am an outsider who will never be accepted.
                          Not that I really cared...because I had such a strong sense of family in me that
                          I felt called to find my missing relatives, and learn our history.
                          Some of my Dad's sibling did get in touch with me, and I was able to connect with them.
                          And when I turned 18 I really began to research my family, gather lost relatives
                          and even travel to the backroads of AL where my family line began.

                          So it was not just research but also a calling. And part of my
                          calling was to remember my family, and write down our stories.

                          The biggest challenge I face is getting through the secrets.
                          It literally feels like a wall has been put up of "Don't Talk About .....".
                          My research has now involved my own journey of self-awareness and healing. I have had
                          to develop the strength to speak the truth, without feeling guilty for telling the secrets.
                          I also have had to heal my past, so I can be a strength and
                          support for other family members. So it has been interesting!

                          I wish you the best on your family search as well :)

                          Blessings, Lynn

                          Message 12 of 12 , May 4, 2006
                            Yes -- Lynn -- you most definitely have been given 'a calling' ...
                            and also the talent, intelligence and skills to answer that 'calling'!! :)

                            The poetry and prose that you have written is
                            just about some of the best that I've ever seen!!!

                            So please do keep up the great work that you have
                            been doing and, thus, keep remaining a source of
                            encouragement for us all with your quality work!! =D>

                            In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com, wintyreeve@... wrote:

                            Hello Friends,

                            RE: Did you research your family history and find out more about yourself?

                            In a nutshell ... it was not just research but also a calling. And part of