Terminology

  • Peter Barrett
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 29, 2006
      Hello everyone,
      This is my first post. I do a lot of reserach
      on culture and race. I'm AA/Creole.

      I noticed that within this group I see terms like Cascos and Griffe
      for example. My question is do people still use these terms today? I
      thought not but I'm wondering are people trying to bring them back?

      From the description of the group do you beleive most are multiracial?
      I'm just curious. I hope to see some good conversation here.
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 30, 2006

        Hi Peter,

        Welcome to 'Generation-Mixed' !!!:)

        We are happy to see that you have decided
        to become a part of our online community!!=D>

        In regards to your post reagrding Mixed-Race
        'Terminology',  I thought you might also find the
        posts in the links listed below to be of interest.:-?

        Welcome again and have a great day,

        -- M.

        In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
        "Peter Barrett" <barac1998@...> wrote:

        Hello everyone,

        This is my first post. I do a lot of reserach
        on culture and race. I'm AA/Creole.

        I noticed that within this group I see terms like Cascos and Griffe
        for example. My question is do people still use these terms today?
        I thought not but I'm wondering are people trying to bring them back?

        From the description of the group do you beleive most are multiracial?

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 30, 2006
          Thanks for the welcome! I really appreciate your response.
          I'm Black identified or AA and Creole as I stated before.

          This is interesting seeing all of these sites for mixed people.
          I hadn't looked at my self as mixed even though I have
          knew my ancestry and learned more about it. I have
          always looked at AAs as tri-racial any ways.

          I wanted to explore on a site that seems to be
          welcoming compared to some others I have seen.
          I was wondering are some of these terms like griffe are still
          being used. I have heeard they are in Latin American countries.

          I will keep posting. Thanks again M.

          <mailto:Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com> ,

          "Peter Barrett" <barac1998@> wrote:

          Hello everyone,

          This is my first post. I do a lot of reserach
          on culture and race. I'm AA/Creole.

          I noticed that within this group I see terms like
          Cascos and Griffe for example. My question is do
          people still use these terms today? I thought not but
          I'm wondering are people trying to bring them back?

          From the description of the group do you beleive
          most are multiracial? I'm just curious.
          I hope to see some good conversation here.
          Message 4 of 7 , May 1, 2006

            Hi Peter,

            Just wanted to let you know that the inquiries you have made
            below are extremely perceptive and very much appreciated. :-?

            In addition, they are very close to those addressed in an earlier post
            (
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Generation-Mixed/message/463)
            which may be of help in noting the various ways some have viewed
            the terminology that's been historically used to describe various
            Mixed-Race Ancestries (whether via 'Parentage' or via 'Lineage').

            For me, there have been many a times when I have personally gone ahead
            and written descriptors such as 'Cascos' or 'Griffe' in the "Other" section
            of the "race" area of certain forms (rather than "checking all that apply"
            and waiting to see if the person processing the form will attempt
            'One-Drop' the selections into a singular, 'mono'-racial category).B-)

            My rationale is that, if the "descriptor" provided is ever called into
            question --- then I can both see and also use it as one of those great
            'teachable moment' opportunities in which I can inform the person
            about the 'Multi'-Racial lineage of the majority of those who
            are a part of both my 'Ethnic' grouping and of my family
            as well (including that of the majority of my ancestors).;)

            So far ... however... no one has questioned anything written.=D>

            Sometimes I think it maybe a sign of progress that people are getting away
            from trying to classify others by the Racist / Colorist 'Measurements'
            of the 'One-Drop Rule(r)' -- but then it suddenly dawns on me that maybe
            they aren't questioning it because they are just under the false impression
            that there is a some sort of country out there somewhere that is called
            'Casco-sia' or 'Griffe-land'  ... or something along those lines.  LOL! :))

            Anyway -- have a great day, Peter and I hope that this
            information is both of interest and also helpful as well.

            --M.

            In Generation

            -Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
            "Peter Barrett" <barac1998@...> wrote:

            ... I was wondering are some of these terms like griffe are still being used.
            I have heard they are in Latin American countries

              Message 6 of 7 , May 1, 2006

                Hi Jeff,

                How's it going?  It's good to hear from you!!

                Hey ... does your lineage also include Amerindian ancestry?