925Re: [Generation-Mixed] Re: A Note on 'Mariah Carey'

  • Erica (Raven) Branch-Butler
    Feb 11, 2006
      Exactly. It's her *job*. I don't like her, I don't
      like her music, so I don't buy any of it, and I don't
      go to her concerts, I don't watch her vids. But I'm
      not going to fault her for doing what she's paid to
      do... be a pop diva.

      Raven

      Tyrone Anderson <gemini072@...> wrote:

      That's all the same stuff that would happen
      in the Rock arena: videos, concerts etc etc

      wintyreeve@... wrote:

      [RE Adeline: I do not like the fact that she tries to make herself
      look "black" and appears so hip hop style in most of her videos]

      To me-Mariah Carey looks like an ego maniac.

      She is always screaming these high notes
      and then feeling on herself. Gross!

      VH1 had this show on called "Hip Hop Sexploitation".
      Would not let a child watch it but for parents
      and teachers--it is an eye-opener.

      Basically, sex sells.

      The show talked about how women would audition
      for hip-hop videos and it was a meat market.
      The women had to wear next to nothing,
      and act like street walkers.
      Alot of the women were sexually harrassed--even grabbed in the
      privates and told if they did not have sex (with producers,
      artists, groupies, etc) that they would not get the job.
      The women who put out were often passed from one
      man to the next. They were treated like a
      piece of meat --and given degrading names.
      Once in the music industry, drugs and alcohol abuse was common.
      Alot of the women were encouraged to get high
      or get drunk and then taken advantage of.
      The men too--it was perceived as "cool" to be a drunk and stoned.
      And some women just loved all the attention, and
      the money they got from prostituting themselves.
      For an artist making millions of dollars a year, it was
      nothing to throw a couple thousand at these women.
      To the women it was alot of money, but
      I wouldn't sell my body for any amount!
      The glamor of being in the music industry became more
      important than self-respect or being a positive role model.

      But don't confuse this with being "black".
      I agree with Femininemind, these people are stooping to
      low levels, are confused, and are compromising their soul.
      Not all "Black" people are like this.
      That's the problem--people see this garbage on the videos and
      then it creates a false image that this is what "Black" is.
      Judge the behavior for what it is--don't judge the behavior
      and assume it is based on skin color or ethnicity.

      Peace, Lynn

      "Man would rather be a little higher than the
      apes,than a little lower than the angels." -
      "I am Black & I am White, and know there is no difference.
      Each one casts a shadow, and all shadows are dark."
      -Walter White:

      And if all others accepted the lie which the
      Party imposed,if all records told the same tale,
      then the lie passed into history and became truth.
      'Who controls the past' ran the Party slogan, 'controls the future:
      who controls the present controls the past.'"
      -pg 32 / George Orwell, "1984"
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic