4171Passing for Black: The Life of Mae Street Kidd

    Dec 3, 2011
      Passing for Black
      The Life and Careers of Mae Street Kidd
      ----- written by Wade Hall

      Mae Street Kidd made a choice.

      Born in 1904 in Millersburg , Kentucky to a 'White' father
      and a mother who was a Mixed-Race woman who was
      of the
      African-American Ethnicity --  she could easily
      have "passed" as being a mono-racial 'White' woman.

      Instead , she chose to affirmed her
      African-American Ethnic heritage .

      Mae Street Kidd

      Her career blossomed -- first as a successful business
      woman -- then as the Assistant Director of the European
      Theater for the American Red Cross in Washington, D.C.
      -- and later as  a member of the Kentucky General Assembly.

      In 1968, she was elected to the Kentucky House
      of Representatives -- where she went on to
      sponsor two bills which provided both open
      housing and low-income housing in Kentucky.

      There she also led a campaign to right a historical wrong,
      helping to get the 13th, 14th, and 15th amendments
      to the U.S. Constitution ratified by Kentucky— more
      than a century after they were passed by Congress.

      Kidd received many honors and awards including the "King
      / Kennedy Award", "The NAACP Unsung Heroine Award",
      and the "Top Ten Outstanding Kentuckians Award

      Mrs. Kidd was also involved in many community service
      groups such as the YWCA and Girl Scouts of America.

      Kidd's own plain-spoken words and fiercely independent
      spirit permeates the narrative biography written
      by Wade Hall, a sort of edited oral history culled
      from interviews conducted in her Louisville home.

      The result is an inspirational story
      starring a truly unforgettable character.

      SOURCE: http://www.ket.org/bookclub/books/1999_mar/

      Representative Mae Street Kidd was an innovative
      businesswoman, civic leader, and a skilled politician
      during a time when her gender and multi-racial background
      made such accomplishments harder than they are today.

      She had a distinguished career in
       public relations, served in the Red Cross
      during World War II, and served as a Kentucky state
       representative for 17
      years, beginning in 1968,
      representing the 41st District of Louisville.

      Mae Street Kidd's life was greatly affected by the color
      of her skin--it was too dark to some and too light to others.

      According to Wade Hall, in his biography
      of Kidd,
      Passing for Black:  The Life
      and Careers of Mae Street Kidd
      , while
      traveling by train in her Red Cross uniform with
      her darker-complexioned brother in his Army

      uniform during WWII, Kidd was asked to move from
      the 'Colored' section of the train to the 'White' section.

      Kidd repeatedly refused--and also refused to explain herself:
      "I was a grown woman.  I was wearing my Red Cross uniform.

      My brother was a grown man, wearing his army uniform.

      We were a brother and sister going to see
      our parents before we shipped overseas.

      We were both American citizens serving our country.

      We didn't owe anybody an explanation."

      During her time in office, she was known
      for her sponsorship of tough legislation.

      For instance, House Bill 27, sponsored by Representative Kidd,
      became law in 1972, creating the Kentucky Housing Corporation
      which promotes and finances low-income housing in Kentucky.

      In 1974, this bill was officially named the Mae Street Kidd Act.

      http://www.kywcrh.org/archives/1171

      In 1976, she sponsored legislation to ratify
      the 13th, 14th, and 15th Amendments,
      the  "Reconstruction Amendments,"
      to the United States Constitution,

      amendments which --over a century
      late-- freed the chattel-slaves and
      granted African-Americans  the
      right to citizenship, and gave men of any
      part-Black ancestry the right to vote.

      During her time in the General Assembly,
      Representative Kidd's "firsts" include being
      the first woman on the Rules Committee.

      Kidd, Mae Street (1909-1999)

      Listen to a clip from an
      interview with Mae Street Kidd.
      To view a transcription while you listen, click
      on "transcription" and then on "interview."
      View a transcription of this clip

      SOURCE:
      http://www.womeninkentucky.com/site/public_service/m_kidd.html

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic