4080Re: (unknown)

  • ashley717717
    Mar 31, 2010
      That may be true in general, but I've also found that generalizing can turn into ourselves being prejudiced because everybody is different, and we really have to look at each person as unique. I've been told I have the biggest chip on my shoulder that anybody has ever seen, because I'm so skeptical about who will understand me the most and who will accept me that I start out being closed up and kinda defensive already that looks like hostility, and that just puts more bricks in the wall.
      I was at a powwow once and some White people would walk up to me and say things that were well intentioned from their ignorant point of view but were really ignorant. I answered them kind of sarcastically and a medicine man who was very special to me called me on it. He told me that the person really didn't know any better and that I was not helping by the attitude that I had and that it would be better if I would just explain things and answer their questions calmly.
      I have encountered Afro-Americans who were just as racist as anyone could be.
      So now, I try to start out neutrally, but I don't give a lot of information any more at all. I'm sort of an enigma to people. I've met a lot of nice people too, who think they accept me, but they really don't know me. I know basically which subjects to avoid, like capitalism. It's kinda lonely not being able to share my innermost self with people. It's like I can share one thing with an Indian cuz s/he'll understand, but not another thing which I can share with an educated White person, while that same White person could never understand why I'm not a capitalist. It would be so wonderful to find people who could relate to all of me, but it's me that has to accept that they just can't.
      Actually, the people who understand me most are other mixed people, like you all,, even if we don't agree on a solution or direction we do understand the situation and reason for that direction.
      I've been talking to my grown son recently also about the census and self-identity - who I am to me, and who I am to you.

      In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
      Tonya <latonyabeatty76@...> wrote:

      You made a good point Ashley. Also for me, a white person is not going to see or accept me as one of their own, as were I would be more accepted by the black and American Indian community.

      Tonya

      On Tue, 3/30/10, ashley smith
      <ashley717717@...> wrote:

      to Philip Arnell, The main reason that a mixed person might not feel connected to the European side is that the European don't relate when trying to connect. I'm very familiar with my European/White side but they just don't understand me. They don't understand my way of seeing the world, my values, my priorities. Even little things like the way we walk in the woods. An intellectual connection of knowledge of history and the family tree I have,, a relationship of mutual understanding, no. I'm afraid many of them have watched too many John Wayne movies and they believe the stereotypical portrayal of Indians, and haven't a clue as to what my real culture and context is. And they don't want to know because my concept of the land and possession and care of it runs counter to the capitalistic system that they are so invested in.
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic