4062Census 2010--Mixed voices be heard!

  • rosanna_armendariz
    Mar 19, 2010
      Well, I filled out my census form a couple days ago, and was certain to indicate the multiracial heritage of myself, my husband, and my son. I answered yes on Hispanic heritage for all of us. Then for my husband, under race, I wrote in "mestizo," which is a mixture of indiginous and Spaniard. The majority of Mexicans are mestizo, and I think it's ridiculous that they are being pushed to identify as White in many cases. I recently read an article in my local newspaper where the author said the majority of Mexicans don't know they're White. Hmn, maybe that's because they're not! Some have fair skin, but that often is not a reliable indicator of racial heritage. In many Latino families, some siblings will be fairskinned and some will be darker. Does that mean that the light ones are White and the dark ones Black or Indian, even though they have the same parents? Makes no sense. So, for hubby I wrote in Mestizo.

      For myself, after I answered yes on Hispanic, I wrote in Ecuadorian. Then for race I wrote in Mixed.

      For my son, I also answered yes on Hispanic, checked off Mexican and also wrote in Ecuadorian. I don't know if I was supposed to do this, b/c it seemed that if you answered yes to Hispanic you were supposed to check off one of the groups or write your group in if it wasn't listed-- like they didn't think someone could have 2 different types of Hispanic as part of their heritage. How ridiculous! There are so many people that are half Puerto Rican, half Dominican or half Mexican, half Cuban, and so on. So pretty narrow-minded of them not to take that into account. Anyway, then under my son's race I wrote in multiracial.

      So, I'm sure the pencil pushers at the Census will be quite confused when they see our form!
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic