3744Re: How are you treated or viewed by monoracials?

    Jun 27, 2008
      Hello Micah,

      Thanks for sharing your experience and thoughts. Grin* In alot of ways you sound like one of those reporters who do stories on people and events.

      I don't find it easy to answer your question... How are you viewed by monoracials?

      I really believe monoracial people have in common with mixed race people that what they view, and perceive is greatly diverse and often influenced by the person's culture, experiences and values. Then again, you may have an opinion about something one day and then something changes and you see the same topic in a whole new light.

      It does seem, however, that monoracial people commonly (on average) view mixed race people with some confusion, trying to figure out what race they are and trying to fit them in a monoracial box. Or trying to label them as one race, in some way. It also seems a person's culture has a strong influence on some of their views and if you go back far enough, there is probably some family experience as well.

      What your letter really brought to mind for me was this college paper I was doing on mixed race Hmong people. I had an anthropology teacher who got so mad that I dare approach the subject, she threatened to flunk me if I continued my paper. I actually finished the paper but with a few revisions so that she did not detect my inferences! Anyways, when studying the history of Hmong people who are racially mixed, I found there was no direct word for "mixed" and no actual definition. The history I discovered was enbedded in the folk stories, the history of migration of the Hmong people, and in certain cultural practises--such as weaving designs. I also found that when the Hmong people lived in China, long ago, anyone who looked mixed (had blue eyes or blonde hair) was killed.

      I can't help but to think early experiences, and early history have shaped modern views about race--and even the practises of the culture we live in. Considering that, it gives a whole new power to our very actions and our work. --We are shaping not only history but also creating a distinct identity, with our own experiences and values, that will inevitably influence--and mix within--the "monracial" world. Grin* Maybe some day everyone will just accept that we are all mixed in some way!

      In Joy & Peace,

      Lynn

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic