3731Happy Loving Day!

  • lovingday_dot_org
    Jun 12, 2008
      Forty one years ago today, Richard and Mildred Loving walked out of
      the Supreme Court in Washington, DC. After nine years of struggle,
      they won the right to be together as an interracial couple. They also
      won that right for interracial couples nationwide, ending about 400
      years of racist laws that existed in 35 states. So today, we celebrate
      our legal right to marriage and relationships without regard to race.

      This year is particularly significant because Mrs. Loving tragically
      passed away. While we are saddened by this, we can also be inspired by
      her historic achievement. Mrs. Loving was a regular person from a
      small town who made a big difference. We can all make a difference as
      well. Let's teach our children, friends, and relatives about the
      Loving decision. Let's fight the prejudice that still exists for
      people in interracial, international, and intercultural relationships.
      Let's join together as a community of many races, cultures, and
      nationalities to celebrate Loving Day.

      There are Loving Day Celebrations happening nationwide! Take a look at
      our list of celebrations to see if there's one near you:

      It's fun and easy to host your own Loving Day Celebration with our
      free Celebration Kit in PDF format. Download it here:

      If you host a Celebration, be sure to share it with us! Take photos or
      videos and post them online through Flickr or YouTube:

      All the best to you and yours, and Happy Loving Day!
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic