3719Re: [Generation-Mixed] Victoria Rowell--Anyone read her memoir?

  • soul sis36
    Apr 24, 2008
      Hi Lynn,

      Thanks for the input about her book. No, I haven't read it yet. I will borrow from Library. :) Thanks again!!!

      wintyreeve@... wrote:
      I recently read "The Women Who Raised Me", a memoir by Victoria Rowell. Has anyone read it, and if so, what did you think?
      Victoria Rowell is a woman whose racial heritage is largely unknown--her mother is Caucasian and her father is possibly Jamaican or African-American. Victoria's mother Dorothy suffered from schizophrenia, despite her crippling mental condition she fought throughout her life to provide a good home for her children (she has 6, all of various ethnicities) and as such, would not allow her children to be adopted so they were placed in the custody of the state as foster children (all except two brothers who were returned to their biological father). Victoria writes about her experiences in foster care, and her search for her identity and sense of self is often tied within the multi-racial history of her foster family, and the experiences of multi-racial people in America. The stories Victoria tells are just remarkable, she has a gift not only as a historian but as a story teller. Initially Victoria was placed with a loving family, who raised her from birth to the age of 2 and wanted to adopt her. The family went through extraordinary measures to fight to keep Victoria in their care. The state of Maine refused to allow the placement because the family is white, and Victoria is "black"--the state thought Victoria should go to a "black" home. Since there were no foster families available the state literally pulled a "black" couple off the streets (seriously-- they enlisted the first couple with dark skin that they could find) and asked them to be foster parents. Victoria stayed with this family for the rest of her upbringing, though was shuttled around because she was studying ballet. She also describes the sense of loss and displacement after she was placed out--or too old to be in foster care. Victoria goes on to a successcul acting career and establishes a foundation to help other foster children. It is an amazing story--and painfully yet brilliant describes so many of the emotional ups and downs of being multi-racial, of being rejected for being different and the fight to be your own person. I highly recommend this book.
      Blessings to All!
      Rowell Foster Children Positive Plan (Improving lives of foster children in America):
      Victoria Rowell Official Site: