3512Re: What are the general feelings towards using the term "mulatto"?

  • prettycutetk
    Dec 16, 2007
      Mulatto doesn't really bother me but,
      I don't refer to myself as mulatto.

      It sounds like an "old term" to
      me so, I really don't use it.

      I usually say mixed, biracial or multicultural.

      I know of biracial people who don't like to be
      called mixed but, it doesn't bother me at all.

      That's just my opinion.

      In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
      "brooke84z" <brooke84z@...> wrote:

      What do most people of black/white mixed-background think of the term?
      Not just in this group but in general?
      I know that the term has its origination in the Spanish/Portugese word
      meaning young donkey, an animal that cannot have viable offspring.
      I know that some people embrace the term, but breaking it down,
      what are the general population's attitudes towards it versus
      black/white mixed-race people versus people in this group?
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic