3448Re: Which is worst?

  • mulatta_loca
    Nov 10 2:40 PM
      Yeah, it's a similar situation along the US/Mexico border,
      where I live. To a large extent, Language = Race.
      For instance, people of Mexican descent who don't speak Spanish
      are sometimes viewed as being not really Mexican or "pocho,"
      which loosely translated means "watered down," or assimilated.
      I have noticed though that my husband's family has eased up on
      me somewhat in the last year. I think this is b/c I'm now
      approaching my mid-thirties and have not expressed any
      interest in child-bearing. Hence, they're probably relieved
      at the thought that my unacceptable ways will die with me.

      In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
      Va Murimi <vamurimi@...> wrote:

      Here in Canada, particularly Quebec, language IS race.
      My wife's family are "pur ligne" (pure line) or
      descended from the original settlers who came in 1660.
      I can speak enough to carry on a social conversation,
      but French is not my first language. As far
      as my religion, that's more problematic.
      I am an non observant Quaker and a secular
      humanist. That upsets my black family ...
      My French family has learned to accept
      that I'm not Catholic, it is less important
      because we aren't going to have any kids.

      Franklin Farmer