307Re: A few examples of the various 'Types' of 'Mixed-Race'
- Aug 14 9:23 AM[[jolisa <jolisaayson@y...> wrote:
"I was thinking about the word zambo....
Zambo has different definitions all over the world."]]
You are most definitely correct on this, Jolisa.
In fact, the link listed below provides some
very interesting and detailed on the history,
usage and perception of the word 'zambo'.
Thanks for sharing. :)
jolisa <jolisaayson@y...> wrote:
I was thinking about the word zambo.
I've talked to a hispanic man and he said ...
The word was not possitive or pretty to him...
I've seen old racist drawings
of zambos and it is not nice...
Zambo has different definitions all over the world.
multiracialbookclub <soaptalk@...> wrote:
A few examples of the various 'Types' of 'Mixed-Race'
1. of a mixed blood lineage
2. the offspring of a full-negress by a full-white man
3. the offspring of a full-white woman by a full-negro
[Sp. & Pg. == mulato, masc., /
mulata, fem. / pl., mulattoes]
1. One having five eighths full-negro lineage
2. the child of a Mulatra/Mulatto and a full-Negro
3. the offspring of a mulatto and a griffe. [Louisiana]
1. the offspring of a mulatto and a full-negro
2. a mulatto [U. S.]
3. a person of mixed-"negro" and
American Indian blood lineage
4. the child of a Marabou & full-Negro
1. the offspring of a Griffe & full-Negro
1. The offspring of a mulatto and a white person
2. a person considered to be of one-
quarter full-`negro' blood lineage
[also quarteron (fr.), quarteroon, quateron,
cuarteron (sp.)/ quarter==a fourth part]
MESTEE / MESTIZO**
1. The offspring of a white person and a quadroon
[so called in the West Indies / Written also mustee.]
1. The offspring of a quadroon and a white person
2. a mestee
[L. octo eight + -roon, as in quadroon.]
1. the off-spring of a quadroon and a white
2. The off-spring of an octoroon and a white person
1. the child of a full-negro and an American Indian
2. sometimes, the offspring of a
full-negro person and a mulatto
3. comprised of one-half American Indian
and full-negro mixed blood lineage
[Sp. zambo bandy-legged]
(in the United States considered to be an
offensive appellation for one who has any
amount or part "negro" blood lineage)
DEFINITIONS OF OTHER RACES
---one whose ancestral origins is *solely*
(or going back at least 6 generations) that of
the race of black (or very dark) persons who
BOTH inhabit the greater part of tropical Africa,
AND are distinguished by tightly curly hair,
flat noses, and full protruding lips;
WHITE (current definition/description/ perception)
-- one whose ancestral origins
(going back at least 6 generations)
has been is found to be solely that
of any of the original peoples of
Europe, North Africa, or Middle East.
(Related link: http://www.mdcbowen.org/p2/rm/code_noir.htm)
Here is an interesting set of commentary
pertaining to this subject matter:
[Note: Personally I do not agree with much of A.D.
Powell's `political' and other viewpoints, but she
does make some good argument againsts the
`measurements' (i.e. "racial admixture" -- amounts,
percentages, quantums, phenotype results, timing,
types, etc.) of the infamously racist `one-drop rule (-r).
You may also want to take a
ook at the following essays:
[[ **This information derived from postings from
`Ty Anderson' who is both the moderator of:
and a member of:
("Man would rather be a little higher than
the apes, than a little lower than the angels."
"I am Black & I am White,
and know there is no difference.
Each one casts a shadow,
and all shadows are dark."
- << Previous post in topic Next post in topic >>