2907Re: A note on 'Self-Definition'

  • osteoron
    May 29, 2007
      It seems then that you object to the
      notion that others would pass someone.
      There is, I would imagine, a sense of a loss of
      control if others are determining this for us.

      I cannot "pass" for Asian.
      My features are not prominent enough.

      In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
      "mulatta_loca" <rosanna_armendariz@...> wrote:

      I think this boils down to a matter of semantics.
      I wouldn't use the word "passing" for what you're talking about.
      To me, "passing" is something a person does deliberately.
      It seems like you're describing other people 'labeling'
      you or making 'assumptions' about your race/ethnicity.
    • Show all 29 messages in this topic