2901Re: A note on 'Self-Definition'

  • osteoron
    May 27, 2007
      The film clips that have been posted are specific to my point.
      For anyone to pass, they must be accepted by the community as
      being that. A person who "passes" as White, must be given
      the acceptance of the White community for that person
      to be considered White regardless of the motivation or
      intention of the person with more than one heritage.

      No matter how much one might want to "pass", it is
      'the community' that decides if there is a 'pass'.

      In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
      Heather Stimmel <heather21230@...> wrote:

      I do understand what you're saying, about your situation
      (and - that, definitely, does not make it right... that you
      are treated in such a demeaning manner), but ... to my knowledge,
      "passing" refers to people who make/have made a conscious choice
      to do so because of circumstances beyond their control.
      Please, someone... correct me if I'm wrong?!
      Most of the stories and accounts I've read/have been told,
      in regards to "passing," have been from this viewpoint.
      I'd be interested to see/hear how others feel/think about this.

      Heather
    • Show all 29 messages in this topic