2891Re: When you pass

  • osteoron
    May 26, 2007
      This went off topic for me.

      I used the term "passing" and for caucasian from
      the perspective of the concept of "white privilege".
      My name and my look provides certain privileges in
      society that I don't believe are fair to others.
      I have seen others with different looks and different
      names (which can identity a person's ethical or
      racial mixture) in very unacceptable ways.
      Even though they share a similar heritage to my own.

      In addition to the privilege that I receive,
      I also receive much racism including
      that directed to my own heritage.

      I always get a cab. I always get service in stores.
      I always get treated with deference. I have witnessed
      otherwise with people with the same racial mixture as my own.

      .
    • Show all 24 messages in this topic