2655Re: New to the group

  • Heather
    Mar 17, 2007
      ~~~Welcome!~~~ My name is Heather and I have a 14-yr. old son.
      I am in the process of searching and learning about my eastern
      indian roots, as well. My son is part "black," part 'white' and
      part "indian" (native american). We, too, have a sorted background
      that includes many great stories and customs (at least on my son's
      side of things). I have yet to "pin down" anything definite about my
      maternal side of the (indian) family. It's frustrating, but I'm not
      a quitter=) Never have been-lol! This is just one more hurdle that
      I know I will overcome. You will really like the group! There's
      a wealth of information, ideas, advice and really super people=)
      If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Take care! Heather

      "lonniesdrm" <lonniesdrm@...> wrote:

      Osiyo (Greetings)!

      I am also new to this group.
      I am of mixed heritage, my maternal grandparents are from
      the Eastern Band of the Cherokee Nation. My father is
      African-American and that is about all I know about him.
      My maternal grandfather explained to me about our family's
      oral history. They escaped the Trail of Tears (forced removal to
      Oklahoma) and settled in SW Virginia. When the state of Virginia
      put Plecker in as Registrar for Vital Statistics, they moved to NY.

      I grew up in a multi-cultural city (Brooklyn) where there are
      many people of mixed heritage. I got called "high yellow"
      and "red" because I look like my Cherokee family. I am
      olive/brown complected with dark brown hair and eyes.
      I remember going shopping with my mother (who was quite
      a shrewd trader) and listening to people speak to us in
      Spanish because of how we looked. They never suspected that
      we were Indians living in the city. We got quite a kick out of it!

      Traditional Lady

      "mulatta_loca" <rosanna_armendariz@> wrote:

      Welcome! I am multiracial: white/black/latina.
      I grew up with both my parents, but due to problems
      they had with their own identities, they were
      unable to help me feel positive about myself.
      Luckily I had good friends and common sense, so
      I did not become ashamed of my racial background.
      So, my point is that I don't think a person
      needs two parents to learn to love themselves.
      One proud parent is better than two self-hating ones.

      "Nikki" <msspencer1972@> wrote:

      Hello I am from a multigenerational mixed family.
      I myself am multiculturally mixed and have 2 biracial children.
      I am very interested in reading about what this group has to offer.
      I am now divorced and no longer have my ex (his choice)
      involved in the upbringing of my children.
      My children are Black, Irish , German, American Indian.
      For those who are biracial or multicultural like
      my children, especially those who may have been
      without their biological parent....How are you?
      It is obvious one would miss their parent, but what
      can I do as a Mother to give them an unbiased life.
      I want them to love their blackness without
      denying their white lineage and vice-versa.

      Thanks!
      Nikki
    • Show all 27 messages in this topic