2580Re: Cherokee Nation votes to expel 'freedmen'

    Mar 4 3:01 PM
      Plus they base their membership on records
      made by White government workers, kind
      of like some "blacks" today accepting
      the slave masters one-drop rule.

      It's all about money I think.

      Not my kind of club.

      Heather Stimmel <heather21230@...> wrote:

      Yeah, I have to agree! This is ridiculous and, like Multi, I tend
      to think it is out of racist attitudes that this is happening.
      I remember reading on their website (Cherokee) the qualifications
      you need to be officially registered within the Cherokee tribe,
      so this is not really a shock to me (but, in a way, it is).
      The site says if you cannot prove (within a certain fraction-
      can't remember what it was, but it seemed a little ridiculous
      at the time) that you are a certain (fractional) amount Cherokee
      Indian, than they will not officially recognize a person as a Cherokee.
      The reason I know this is, because... my son
      is part Cherokee, as am I (or, so I'm told).
      I've done quite a bit of research on this subject, to little avail.
      It's almost unconscionable (sp?) that they can actually "expel"
      members they officially accepted as "genuine" at some point in history!
      That's what I don't get???!
      Heather

      Related Link:

      http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Generation -Mixed/message/ 2566