      From: Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com
      [mailto: Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com ]
      On Behalf Of
      phillymom35
      Sent: Sunday, November 05, 2006 9:35 PM
      To: Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: Gouldtown , NJ : An All-American 'Mixed-Race Community'

      Hello Everyone,

      Just stopped in cleaning my mail and lo' and behold I see Rich Square N.C.,

      I attended W.S Creecy school there for a short time when my mother moved.
      They lived a little further down the ''road'' a place called [George N.C]
      Actually when you cross the railroad you would enter into another
      tiny town named Woodland N.C. which is called Northampton County

      I was born in an even smaller place of Hertford County called Tunis NC .
      Some of mother's family were and still are in Ahoskie- Winton- Cofield , vicinity.
      Most are her complexion very light some of which are blonde, brunettes and hazel eyes etc..

      Mom is now in Murfreesboro , N.C.

      Actually I have a site I could send to you if you would care to read.[family lived]

      Would take too too long post...

      Hope everyone had a good weekend...

      tlbaker1 <tlbaker1@...> wrote:

      Rich Square, NC - this was many years ago when my mother
      was a child up until circa 1975ish (as far as I can remember).
      However, the town was so small and ghost town like the only
      mixed race people I remember seeing were my grandfather' s
      family in the spooky old house, LOLOL, I am sure there are
      more people there besides them. Only family members left
      there is my grandfather who lives in NY and my great aunt
      who still lives across the street in the "normal" house
      that I would stay in when we visited 35 years later.
      It was one of those towns you would see on 95 south or
      whatever if you were on your way to a souther state.
      You would pass the cows, corn fields, etc., you could
      have passed that old house on one of your road trips.

      The house was the oldest house in Hertford County, an old
      slave master's house and part of the underground railroad.
      It has since burned down by one of drunk great uncles
      years ago; would have been long condemned by now anyway.
      I remember using the outdoor manual pump to get water, the
      1940-50's car driven into the tree was still there (I just
      now remembered that), wringer washing machine, the pig farm,
      now that I think of it the place was like a time capsule.

      Today, my aunt (mother's sister) has built a house
      on the property and goes down there for vacation.

      L.

      From: Generation-Mixed@ yahoogroups. com