1635Re: Gouldtown, NJ: An All-American 'Mixed-Race Community'

  • Rodney Sam
    Nov 4, 2006
      If I'm not mistaken, I read somewhere that Gouldtown
      was established by a high society White woman and her
      Native American lover who eloped and ran away together.
      Later, there were other members who joined the community.
      Another resident of the area was a White woman who
      married her husbands slave after he was killed
      during the French-Indian war and another White
      woman who fell in love with a free Black man.
      There was also the Pierces, two brothers of
      West Indian descent who were Racially-Mixed
      who in turn married two Scottish sisters.
      I'm going to check where I remember reading this at.
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic