1162Re: [Generation-Mixed] Re: proposed comic book - "History of the Mulatto"

    Aug 26 12:12 PM
      Good point - in fact when researching famous mixed people I found that alot had fathers directly from Africa. Though my focus will be predominantly on the American mulatto whose background is pretty much grounded in slavery I will address Free People of Color and immigrant mulattoes as well

      Interestingly, a friend of mine in Europe says that the usual mix is an African born or 1st generation mom and a European dad. She says its more rare to see a black man with a white woman.

      "Erica (Raven) Branch-Butler" <golanv1@...> wrote:
      This is great, Jeff. Glad to hear you're doing this.

      I would love for *someone* to make the point that not all of us who
      are Multi-generationall y mixed are so because of a slave owner in the
      family. In my case, my Mother's great-Grandfather (maternal side) was
      Irish, her great Grandmother was mostly Native. Neither were slave owners.

      Raven

      In Generation-Mixed@ yahoogroups. com,
      j s <creolescience@ ...> wrote:

      I am working on an all-ages ( say 6th grade and up ) short graphic
      novel depicting the general history of the mulatto in the new world. I
      will use the broad definition of mulatto as a person who is mixed
      black and white as opposed to the strict bi-racial / 50-50 definition.

      In it I plan on including the slave trade, the one-drop rule,
      history of the Creoles and tri-racial isolates, the early civil-rights
      movement (which was basically created and led by mulattoes), the
      Harlem Renaissance as well as the modern developing "mixed-race movement".

      If anyone has any areas they feel need to be stressed or ideas
      please feel free to write me directly.

      Regards,
      Jeff