1043Re: African American's Mixed Heritage

    May 4, 2006

      " Lynn " <wintyreeve@...> wrote:

      ... African-American seems to represent a
      racially mixed heritage. What do you think??

      My reply:

      That's a very insightful perception and you make a good point.

      In fact -- when one thinks about it -- of the two
      terms – the term
      `African-American' (although still
      something of a misnomer, in my humble opinion

      --- is actually quite clearly much closer to being a descriptor
      of or implication for a person having a Mixed-Race Ancestry
      (especially perhaps once the origin of the term is `explained' to the
      hearer) --- than is the term
      "Black" (as, when referred to "racially"
      ...  rather than socio-politically... would imply adherence to
      the racist One-Drop Rule/The Rule of Hypo-Descent and to also
      imply a denial of a person's non-Black/other-American lineage).

      In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
      " Lynn " <wintyreeve@...> wrote:

      My cousin told me that she prefers to be labeled
      as "black" because she has never been to Africa ,
      and can't relate to what life is like there.

      Other relatives will label themselves as "black" and
      ignore the other racial admixtures in the family either
      because they don't know, they don't care or they just
      assume that the color of your skin identifies what you are...

      So I guess being African-American, in a sense, is
      really what it is. Or no? What else do you call it?

      I mean if you are "Black" then that excludes the
      mixed people who would not fit the description.

      African-American seems to represent a racially mixed heritage.

      What do you think??

      Smiles, Lynn

    • Show all 13 messages in this topic