Re: Note from Gerry Wilkinson, President, Broadcast Pioneers of Philadelphia re CC

    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 20 8:43 PM
      Hi all,

      Gene is actually in the process of transferring some of his shows..Ch 10 had quite a few episodes, but they mysteriously went missing..Gene does have some in his possession...They are being transferred...On the down side Gene is concerned with the quality of the materials, by that I mean Video quality and getting them just right..and that is a painstaking effort, but Gene is all about Quality..Two reason Gene did not want to release the tapes before are one, he didn't want to be seen as "cashing in" (Gene would be doing us the favor by releasing them and I've told him that)the other is he wondered if there was an audience for them...Which now he knows, there is..I've been telling him for over two years we would all love tapes of show...Gene will promote the tapes through this very site when he has them completed!..The sad part is he doesn't have every episode...from day one...But He will make the ones he has available asap, great news I think!!!
      --- In Gene_Londons_Cartoon_Corners@yahoogroups.com, Lori <lori@...> wrote:

      > Hi Michael,
      >
      > He sort of alluded to that at the Hollywood
      > Exhibition. At least, that's what I got out of
      > what he said. He had told me once before that he
      > has all the shows in his basement. That was when
      > he was still in Manhattan. Now? I don't know.
      >
      > I'd love to see a few, though. :-)
      >
      > Lori
      >

      > >---------------------------
      > >Interesting perspective. It did not occur to me
      > >that GL might not want them released. Has this
      > >been confirmed with him or is it speculation?
      > >
      > >I agree that there is, to a small degree, when
      > >re-watching and old TV show as an adult, a
      > >change in perspective. For me, reliving the
      > >feelings produced by the (GL's) show, would be
      > >far more satisfying than diminished by the
      > >show's juvenile characteristics. Given the vast
      > >number of 50's and 60's era shows on DVD (some
      > >examples: Secret Agent, Man from Uncle,
      > >Thunderbirds, Bewitched, even Dark Shadows- and
      > >all of the films on DVD) I wonder what the
      > >concern might be…. Millions of discs are sold to
      > >us baby boomers. I'm guessing today's children
      > >aren't watching old episodes on DVD of Adam
      > >West's `Batman' or `I Dream of Jeannie' on the
      > >TV Land network. Surely there is enough of a
      > >nostalgia market to ensure interest in seeing
      > >GL's CC shows (even though the audience for
      > >re-release may be limited to the Philly area market and us ex-pats).
      > >
      > >Having said all of this, if indeed it is GL's
      > >wish is not to have the shows released, I of
      > >course will respect that and not pursue.
      > >
      > >On another note, I seem to recall the shows were
      > >broadcast live. If true, was this the case for then entire (1959 to '77?) run?
      > >
      > >Thanks for your thoughts and comments. I'm
      > >really happy to have found this yahoo group
      > >after all of these years. GL is really a very
      > >special entertainer and human being.
      > >
      > >Michael

    • Lori
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 21 2:26 AM
        YAY! I guess I must've misinterpreted what he said. I'm glad I did!!!

        Lori :-)

      • Michael
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 21 6:48 AM
          Awesome news! Thanks for sharing. I hope the DVDs(?)will get advertised on Philly area media (TV/Radio/newsprint and Internet). I think the baby boomers will certainly buy and forgive any 1960's related quality issues. Think these would make nice presents (birthdays, holidays)too.

          Big smile on my face this morning !

          Michael
        • mcpitza@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 21 12:45 PM

            Good Lord,

            I just bought the DVD box set of the old Honeymooners episodes and my sons love watching it with me because they never saw it before. The are old and dated but still classic and great fun - Gene's shows would have the same effect I am sure - classics

            Michael

            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 22 11:18 AM
              Michael,

              Absolutely!! Another thing is Gene's shows have never been re-run..So in a lot of ways it would be like a "new" show..I have very specific memories of the show as I did with Dark Shadows and still I found I didn't quite remember it the way it was when re-watching...but still loved every minute of it!. Gene's show would have the same effect I'm sure!

              --- In Gene_Londons_Cartoon_Corners@yahoogroups.com, mcpitza@... wrote:

              > Good Lord,
              >
              > I just bought the DVD box set of the old Honeymooners episodes and my sons love watching it with me because they never saw it before. The are old and dated but still classic and great fun - Gene's shows would have the same effect I am sure - classics
              >

              > Michael

            • Susan Beriau
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 22 5:01 PM
                it would be grrrrreat!             :)

> [...]

                > > >Thunderbirds, Bewitched, even Dark Shadows- and
                > > >all of the films on DVD) I wonder what the
                > > >concern might be…. Millions of discs are sold to
                > > >us baby boomers.  I'm guessing today's children
                > > >aren't watching old episodes on DVD of Adam
                > > >West's `Batman' or `I Dream of Jeannie' on the
                > > >TV Land network. Surely there is enough of a
                > > >nostalgia market to ensure interest in seeing
                > > >GL's CC shows (even though the audience for
                > > >re-release may be limited to the Philly area market and us ex-pats).
                > > >
                > > >Having said all of this, if indeed it is GL's
                > > >wish is not to have the shows released, I of
                > > >course will respect that and not pursue.
                > > >
                > > >On another note, I seem to recall the shows were
                > > >broadcast live. If true, was this the case
                > for then entire (1959 to '77?)  run?
                > > >
                > > >Thanks for your thoughts and comments. I'm
                > > >really happy to have found this yahoo group
                > > >after all of these years. GL is really a very

                <*> Your email settings:
                    Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                    (Yahoo! ID required)