Re: DVD of Philly's Favorite Kids Show Hosts

  • LoriR
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 7, 2009
      Hi Barbara!

      Thanks for the welcome! I'm going to Reading tonite to see Gene, so I'm SO excited I can hardly STAND it! LOL

      I'm looking forward to his stories about the costumes. I don't think anyone else could possibly tell them as good as he will.

      Did you go to the Gala on Friday? Or are you going tonite by any chance?

      Hugs,
      Lori

      --- In Gene_Londons_Cartoon_Corners@yahoogroups.com, barbara8@... wrote:

      > Welcome, Lori! That Meet and Greet must have been fun, though disappointing since Gene London wasn't there then. (I have a hard time just calling him "Gene.") My family saw him in Philadelphia years ago when he gave a Disney-related talk at the Art Museum; our son's string quartet played Disney music is advance of the wonderful presentation. "Gene" was very gracious to us. During the WHYY promotion last Wednesday night, I renewed our membership by purchasing a signed copy of the DVD. "Gene" in his gentle manner was very persuasive (not that I needed the push).<grin>

    • LoriR
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 7, 2009
        I talked my son into going tonite, he's 14 and has no idea who Gene is, but I told him he'll like the costume stuff.

        Anyone going from Lehigh Valley area? I'm leaving here about 4:30, so if anyone wants to carpool!

        Love, Luck and Lollipops!
        OOPS..that's Sally Starr!

        Hugs in Golden Fleecedom,
        Lori ;-)
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 7, 2009
          I'm sure you'll have a great time Lori.......
          --- In Gene_Londons_Cartoon_Corners@yahoogroups.com, "LoriR" <lori@...> wrote:

          > I talked my son into going tonite, he's 14 and has no idea who Gene is, but I told him he'll like the costume stuff.
          >
          > Anyone going from Lehigh Valley area? I'm leaving here about 4:30, so if anyone wants to carpool!
          >
          > Love, Luck and Lollipops!
          > OOPS..that's Sally Starr!
          >
          > Hugs in Golden Fleecedom,
          > Lori ;-)

        • Flagg
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 7, 2009
            Hello John,

            Last Friday the Gala opening of Gene London's, The Magic of Hollywood was so thrilling!  This is a must see for everyone who loves Gene, loves Hollywood movies or loves costume design.  The spectacular exhibit is a treasure for us all shared after many years by Gene.  Each of the almost 100 items from his collection has been meticulously and lovingly prepared, accessorized and lighted to maximize the piece.  I found myself feeling goose bumps all evening as I was reunited with favorite actresses and actors through their costumes.  At one point I almost leaped out to hug the dress form having Katherine Hepburn's dress!

            The stars on display seem endless, you name your favorite and Gene has lovingly shared with us.  Lana Turner, Judy Garland, Mae West, Audrey Hepburn, Bette Davis, Doris Day, Rita Hayworth, Madonna, Greta Garbo, Vivian Leigh, Grace Kelly, Marilyn Monroe, Liz Taylor, John Wayne, Eddie Albert, Michael Jackson, Tyrone Power, Charleton Heston and so many more are present.  I cannot imagine that there has ever been a presentation of this magnitude anywhere before.  This is Gene's gift to us all, so I urge you to spread the word, it is truly SPECTACULAR!!!!!

            One patron who is a collector himself, commented that this exhibit is as fine as any he has seen at the Metropolitan Museum.  Tonight I attended the guided tour presented by Gene himself.  This also was a gift to us as he first created an intimate environment amongst the collection to greet and speak to all present (about 150).  He told personal stories about a number of the stars that he knew and about himself and Cartoon Corners and then graciously welcomed questions from us all and answered with humor and a sensitivity that is pure Gene.  He then lead the group through the collection enthusiastically sharing comments about each piece exhibited and the the star who once wore it.  Finally in one last gesture of love , he posed for photos with his fans and signed many autographs!

            If you missed both of these events, do yourself the favor of getting to The Reading Museum on 5th St in West Reading this Friday, October 9th at 6PM.  Gene will once again greet patrons and fans as he did tonight and lead you on a very up close and personal tour of this exquisite exhibition.

            Thank you Gene, YOU and your collection are a treasure to us all!!!!

            Karen Flagg

            I'm sure you'll have a great time Lori.......
            --- In Gene_Londons_ Cartoon_Corners@ yahoogroups. com, "LoriR" <lori@...> wrote:

            > I talked my son into going tonite, he's 14 and has no idea who Gene is, but I told him he'll like the costume stuff.
            >
            > Anyone going from Lehigh Valley area? I'm leaving here about 4:30, so if anyone wants to carpool!
            >
            > Love, Luck and Lollipops!
            > OOPS..that's Sally Starr!
            >
            > Hugs in Golden Fleecedom,
            > Lori ;-)

          • LoriR
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 8, 2009
              Karen,

              After I read this wonderful message here, I realized I was standing right next to you last night! It was your comment about hugging Katherine Hepburn's dress! You had said that to a gentleman next to you. (He was the one who said he was into cars or something.)

              Gang, she's absolutely right about this exhibit! I have never EVER been so excited to meet someone as lovely as Gene. My son took a photo of Gene and I, and Gene even hugged me and kissed me on the cheek. (I'll never wash my face again! LOL)

              We cried with him over stories of his mother and Joan Crawford. I was totally immersed in his voice...that wonderful, storytelling way he always has had.

              My life has been MADE!

              Love to all,
              Lori

              PS I'll upload the photo in a bit!