Re: Mary Poppins visits Cartoon Corners

  • purvapoonya
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 12, 2009
      Thanks Paul for sharing the memory with us, by you speaking of it, I also remembered the show! I remember the Quigley Mansion scenes the best, a bit scary but I always felt safe 'going with Gene'. I recalled the paper tree after someone else mentioned it, I used to make them all the time. Thanks Gene! If someone knows how to make them and can post the directions, I'd love to make them with my children. I think I remember how, but I am a little fuzzy on the details. I loved reading about your Eugene misunderstanding- when I was little I thought instead of 'Open Sesame' it was 'Open-says-a-me'! Maybe my Italian heritage played a part in that misunderstanding!
      I love how we can all share our memories on here and therefore remember more of Gene!
      Peace,
      Jessica

      --- In Gene_Londons_Cartoon_Corners@yahoogroups.com, "paul_halpern" <p.halper@...> wrote:

      > Another memory of the show:
      >
      > As "Mary Poppins" was one of my favorite movies when a little kid, I distinctly recall a visit by the title character to Cartoon Corners General Store. Although I noticed that it wasn't Julie Andrews playing Mary Poppins, I was still delighted by the episode.
      >
      > One thing I remember is Mary Poppins serenading Gene with the song "Jolly Holiday." Only the lyrics were a bit different. Instead of "It's a jolly holiday for you Bert," she sang "It's a jolly holiday for you Gene." At that point, I thought she was singing "It's a jolly holiday for Eugene" and wondered if those could be the actual lyrics. I also wondered why she was saying "Eugene" while everyone else said "Gene." It baffled me for some time.
      >
      > The musical episodes of the show were fun indeed, and certainly memorable!

    • bakerjohnp1958
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 12, 2009