Re: Other local Philadelphia kid shows of the past

    Message 1 of 38 , Mar 4, 2008
      --- In Gene_Londons_Cartoon_Corners@yahoogroups.com, "tim"
      <bat55@...> wrote:
      >ok, I've checked, it was called clyde crashcup he was an inventor,
      tall, dark hair, little mustache, he had an unusual little voice. It
      was part of the original "alvin show" (chipmunks)the experiments
      would always go wrong and the little one was named leonardo.
      > Hi Bern,
      > WOW! I remember them, they wore lab coats I think and I get them
      > mixed up with the dog that wore glasses with the little red haired
      > kid. I wonder if they were a spin off of that show?
      > Thanks for bringing that memory up too!
      > Tim
      >

      > --- In Gene_Londons_Cartoon_Corners@yahoogroups.com, Bern Wag
      > <wagbern@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I was fascinated by the cartoon of the tall and short scientists
      > who would draw things and whatever they drew became real. I think
      one
      > of them was named Leonardo (the short one). Leonardo never talked,
      > but whispered in the ear of the tall one. The wore lab coats and
      > that's all I can remember but I was completely fascinated as a
      young
      > kid.
      > > Bern

      Trust
      > > me, these are milestone memories for me.
      > >
      > > I saw Gene a few years ago when he was at the PHILADELPHIA FILM
      > > FESTIVAL, and he was still gene and it was great. WHYY did a
      recnt
      > > show about Children's TV show hosts, and it was absolutely
      amazing
      > > when Gene was featured, and he launched into one of his tales,
      and
      > it
      > > wasn't just a sound bite, but a complete story, with all the
      voices
      > > and inflcetions necessary, and it was wonderful.
      > >
      > > Gene, this is a GREAT group, and I am looking forward to being
      here
      > > often.
      > >
      > > > Do you remember these other local Philadelphia kid shows of the
      > > past besides Gene London?:
      > > >
      > > > KYW 3:
      > > > Bertie the Bunyip
      > > >
      > > > WFIL/WPVI 6:
      > > > Happy the Clown
      > > > Sally Starr
      > > > Chief Halftown
      > > > Captain Noah and His Magical Ark
      > > >
      > > > WCAU 10:
      > > > Willie the Worm
      > > > Pixanne
      > > > Candy Apple News
      > > >
      > > > WTXF 29:
      > > > Mini-Fax/Mini- Manners
      > > >
      > > > WKBS 48:
      > > > Captain Philadelphia
      > > >
      > > > darrylh60067

      > > __
      > > > More new features than ever. Check out the new AOL Mail ! -
      > > http://webmail. aol.com

      > ______________
      > > Looking for last minute shopping deals?
      > > Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.
      > http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?
      category=shopping

    • Bill
      Message 38 of 38 , Mar 24, 2008
        Mentioning gerbils in the same breath as Philadelphia television
        brings back memories about Philly TV that I'd rather not mention
        here!!! ;-) ;-)

        (I'm about a week behind on my daily digests - my apologies for taking
        so long!)

        Bill Stephens
        Group Owner: PhiladelphiaTVandRadioNews
        Bucks County

        --- In Gene_Londons_Cartoon_Corners@yahoogroups.com, "bakerjohnp1958"
        <bakerjohnp1958@...> wrote:

        How about the gerbil races for prizes on 29, anybody remember that?

        --- In Gene_Londons_Cartoon_Corners@yahoogroups.com, <purple_sky@> wrote:

        I'm a little younger so I don't remember the converter, but In the
        late 60's early 70's there were still really only the channels you
        mentioned. unless you had a good antenna, then you could get 13 from
        baltimore which was an Abc affiliate, or channel 8 and 11 which were
        both Nbc stations, channel 2 was a cbs station. so mostly it was all
        the same programming. I lived in Delaware so we were situated better
        for picking up 13. Then all the stations signed off at varying times
        after midnight. Remember all the bad reception? I once watched
        Frankenstein meets the wolfman on DR. Shock's "mad" theater in the
        middle of of snow storm and it was summer time!, but I loved being
        able to get it all! What a sense of accomplishment, with tin foil on
        the rabbit ears! Then we got the new antenna and wow! "bubbles"
        Doreen was actally DR. Shock's youngest daughter, You know she must
        have watched Gene london.
        I liked Dr Shock a great deal -- and I really loved it when he'd bring
        his granddaughter(s) on camera, they were positively adorable! What
        tickled me to pieces was that they didn't seem to mind his terrifying
        make-up at all, he was just their Grampa, and nothing else mattered.

        Wee Willie and Rex Morgan stood in for Sally Starr very often. She
        was absent from her own show a LOT . . .

        I remember all the shows that have been mentioned here, but my fave
        was always Gene London's Cartoon Corners. I wanted to live there!
        > > LOL!
        > > >
        > > > Laura

        PS: While looking at the list of shows, something tangentially
        related came to mind: Remember when we got only about 4 channels
        (NBC, ABC, CBS and the public education channel) on VHF, and having a
        UHF converter was a big deal? I was thrilled to death when we were
        able to get channels 17, 29 and 48!