Syndacation

  • jgd41698
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 4, 2009
      Dose anyone know who owns the rights to the show and what it would take to get them. I think there would be intrest even if it were on a local level.
    • Mike McHugh
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 5, 2009
        The best way to go with this might be through WHYY (public broadcasting) in Philadelphia. There would be a lot of local interest in a special about Gene's show with lots of clips and an update on him and it would be a great fundraiser for the station as well as making some money for Gene and providing his starved fans with the chance to see him and the old shows. They have done similar programs in the past and would know how to get some funding etc. to get such a project off the ground.

        Mike
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 5, 2009
          --- In Gene_Londons_Cartoon_Corners@yahoogroups.com, "Mike McHugh" <mcpitza@...> wrote:
          >The major hurdle actually, is the recent developments of last year.
          Sometime early last year when Gene checked the vaults at WCAU, his episodes were gone and no one knew what happened to them or would admit to it. About a year before there were a great number of his episodes there. Efforts are underway to try and "recover" these missing shows. When the WHYY kids documentary was done, clips were used from these episodes, which indicate they were still viable and actually "in" the vault at that time. Fortunately Gene had select episodes in his own private collection not enough for viable syndication. Which unless it's changed has to be at least 78 eps. to have a chance at being considered or successful. There are Some exceptions, cartoons in particular, but not many live action shows.
          From what I've been told there are enough episodes for several compiled volumes.. depending on how Gene wants to do it. WHYY is a logical choice. In fact a Sunday block of Gene, Sally star, Wee willie Webber, Pixanne and chief half town would be nice. Each has a different degree of survivability as far as the old video footage is concerned. According to an interview from Doreen "Bubbles" Zawislak. about 18 hours exist of her dad's(Dr. Shock) footage. Which considering he showed films with brief introductions, bit's and tags,
          That's enough for quite a few episodes, the hitch here is renting the film rights to the movies he showed. The universal, AIP and mexi-horror packages which Dr. Shock showed are very reasonable to rent now, owing to the economy, age and content of the material itself. The ones that are in the public domain would be no problem. Giant Gila monster and Killer Shrews fall into this category. I have suggested something like this before, but you are all aware of how the powers that be operate.
          An hour and a half of Gene preceded by these shows and followed by something like Dr. shock would be TV I would watch. On a Saturday or Sun. Morning/afternoon. Of course Just airing Cartoon Corners would be fabulous.