50th Anniversary!

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 4, 2009
      Hi, all just thought I'd let everyone know who hasn't thought of it, 2009 will be the 50th anniversary of the first broadcast of The Gene London show aka Cartoon Corner's, Cartoon corner's General store, Since Gene continued as the star uninterrupted and the General store theme ran thorough out most of the formats, It's all really one show.
      I'm glad the site is up this year, because 50 years is a special anniversary to commemorate and celebrate.
      It's only sad in that the show should never have gone off the air and Gene should still be teaching and entertaining millions of Children.(OK, and us too) We really were very lucky though. We should be celebrating this occasion "on air". I've often wondered why it wasn't syndicated.
      I think it might have something to do with the fact that Philadelphia lost American bandstand and later Mike Douglas to California, And just maybe WCAU didn't want to lose it's most popular locally produced show and host. Once pixanne was cancelled by WCAU her show remained in production and was syndicated and aired in New York (as an example) for many years. Gene was on for 18 years it should have been sold for syndication. 18 years is a great run for most shows, but Gene and Cartoon Corners should have at the very least gone on in re-runs. Even in re-runs, it would out distance and out class most programs for children on the air today.
      Happy Fiftieth,
      Gene

      And anyone else who helped even in small way make Cartoon Corners what it was.
      Thanks Gene and everybody for memories and lessons that have never left me.
      John