Re: Our Children

    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 25, 2009
      --- In Gene_Londons_Cartoon_Corners@yahoogroups.com, "Debbie Couture"
      <bizzy.buzzbuzz@...> wrote:
      >Times were different and one wonders how did it get this way? When
      did people start behaving this way. I won't say there's a direct
      connection, but you know TV began to change about the time Gene went
      off the air. From my perspective there seems to be no quality
      programming aimed directly at the kids from 7-12, especially in prime
      time. Yes we could watch shows like star trek, the time tunnel, the
      man from uncle and the time tunnel. The whole family could watch it!
      Remember Saturday mornings? Gene London, Here Come the double
      deckers,the herculoids, Jonny quest, really imaginative fun shows.
      Now Saturday mornings are a waste land of infomercials and news
      programs.We need a programming change, it would be nice if the local
      statons would take up the slack and even better if Gene could be a
      part of it. The other programs like the Twilight Zone and Alfred
      Hitchcock were thought provoking and well written, yet without all
      the "reality" in it they deem necessary today.
      Hey we all used to read too, books, magazines, comic books. Your
      parents knew there was nothing harmful in them, today Many comics are
      over 3.00 and definitely not for the 7-12 age group. Used to be they
      were written to appeal to a broad range. You didn't read down to
      understand them, usually a child had to read up to understand them
      and they asked questions. Also Getting that extra 50 cents was a big
      deal for me. My conclusion, We need a change and we need Gene London,
      fortunately for us he's still here. I think for all of us Gene
      represents a better time, a safer time a more secure place. As well
      as all the fun and adventure he showed us and all the things he
      taught us, Art,history and how to conduct ourselves and treat other
      people. It reinforced what our parents taught many of us. Many
      parents don't seem to do that today. That's why we need Gene more
      than ever. We sure do.
      > I couldn't agree more, maybe if we had the kind of programing now
      for
      > kids that we had then,we wouldn't have as many problem kids as we
      do.
      > Of course we were let outside to play, it was a different era too.
      My
      > children are all young adults (26,24, and 18), and even when they
      were
      > little I could let them play outside. Today I would nor let them out
      > of my sight. People seem to be targeting kids, snatching them off
      the
      > streets in broad daylight, raping them, Mothers killing their own
      > children so they can party. Its a scary world we live in folks, I
      > would not want to be the parent of a small child today.
      > No wonder so many of us who grew up watching Gene, long wistfully
      for
      > those days when we could watch Captain Kirk go off into "The final
      > frontier". And even that was considered a little risque although
      when
      > the Enterprise first set about on its missions I was 12. Also
      became a
      > huge fan.
      > But even before that when we had limited channels, just the big
      three
      > plus WNEW, and WPIX here in NY, where I spent a lot of my
      adolescence.
      > There were really good shows at night to watch, Chiller Theater was
      > big treat on Friday nights.
      > I remember being very little and watching Gene, and Captain
      Kangaroo,
      > and then an hour or two of cartoons, maybe. Most of the time
      Saturday
      > afternoons it was The Three Stooges and East Side Comedy. Or "Why
      > don't you kids get outside and play instead of watching
      T.V...Actually
      > it was "get outside and play, and you better come home if you see
      that
      > porch light on".
      > The kids have too many choices, and parents have too little time to
      > spend with them. My parents both had to work, but not so we could
      > have all the latest things like a T.V. in our bedrooms, our
      computers
      > , or video games. It was to put food on the table and make sure we
      had
      > what we needed. A lot of times we didn't get what we wanted but had
      > what we needed.
      > Maybe our current financial crisis, will result in kids having to
      rely
      > more on their imaginations, and less on electronics to be
      stimulated.
      > I always encouraged my kids to read, because I think there is no
      > better way to travel to exotic places or have adventures then in the
      > mind (at least for a kid).
      > Sorry I got kinda soapboxish there.
      > I also loved the three shows listed below, and Twilight Zone and
      > Alfred Hitchcock, along with outer limits..... good stuff
      >
      > --- In Gene_Londons_Cartoon_Corners@yahoogroups.com, Ed Homa
      > <thunderball302@> wrote:
      > >
      > > yep - i forgot Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea and Land of the
      > Giants and Time Tunnel.
      > >
      > > Ed
      > >

      > > ________________________________

      Giants.
      > > For me Cartoon Corners and creepy old Quigley mansion were the
      basis
      > > for quite a few adventures as a kid.
      > > > as a kid we had 3 - 6 - 10 and the UHF stations - 17 - 29 - 48 -

      > > and of course PBS - channel 12, although there was no Sesame
      Street
      > > when i was a kid.
      > > >
      > > > Wee Willie Webber was on 17 - 48 was the other station that had
      > > cartoons after school that i enjoyed.
      > > >
      > > > i guess at around age 13 after school i switched to watching
      reruns
      > > instead of cartoons - there was Daniel Boone, Lost in Space, Star
      > > Trek, and many more.
      > > >
      > > > Ed
      > > >

      > > > ____________ _________ _________ __

      That
      > > > was the right option! It worked. Remember when we came in to
      school
      > > > we would all talk about the same TV shows, because with so
      little
      > > > choice, almost all of us would watch the same thing. What Gene
      > > > London offered was quality, imagination, and morality. How many
      > > > members here watched the TV show The Wonder Years from 1988 to
      > > 1993?
      > > > The Wonder Years spoke to me, because I grew up in the wonder
      > > years.
      > > >
      > > > Lou
      > > >
      > > > --- In Gene_Londons_ Cartoon_Corners@ yahoogroups. com, Ed Homa

      > > > were many TV shows for kids to watch on primetime TV - what
      shows
      > > are
      > > > there today for young kids to watch?

      TV