Re: Our Children

    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 23, 2009
      --- In Gene_Londons_Cartoon_Corners@yahoogroups.com, "Lou K."
      <lkrupkin@...> wrote:
      > Although I was a little younger, the wonder years reminded me too
      of the late 60's early 70's. Dark Shadows, 12-15cent comic books. Wee
      willie Webber in the Afternoons, Sally star in the morning, Gene and
      Dr. shock on the weekends. It's interesting that we had all these
      people on different networks and they never put them in direct
      competition with each other. Imagine that? You know they all got good
      ratings, so wasn't it nice to be able to enjoy all these programs,
      with out all the one up man ship .I got started early watching Gene
      London, my earliest memories are from about 68, really though
      probably from birth, I have older brothers and sisters and they were
      in charge of the TV, hey and I gotta admit, they chose wisely (As you
      say, though, there weren't a lot of choices, anyway).
      We do need Gene London!The old show definitely!I would also like to
      see a new show of some sort,too.He's contemplating a reunion one
      shot, nothing in stone, but I'm urging. No, it's not silly, in these
      troubled times the children need Gene London, they never stopped
      needing "Gene London",the adults may need "Gene London" even more, if
      for no other reason to remind us of what's important, each other.
      On a sad note not sure if any of you are already aware of this or
      not, but Barbara Meyer who played "Mam" (Mrs. Dibley) passed away a
      couple years ago, I was reminded of it when it came up in recent
      conversation with Gene about who Might be in the reunion.
      When I can get some photo's of her, I'll post them in tribute.
      Judy Bell, (Debbie dibley according to Gene, still looks fantastic
      and is teaching in Chicago. I'll See what I can do about an
      interview.
      We thought it might be a nice idea to get, other local celebrities
      thoughts on Gene, Gene Cranes interview for new members is among the
      postings, I'll start a separate file for these, if and when I can get
      the celebs replies. The Broadcast Pioneers have no contact info for
      the family of Dr. Shock, it would be nice to have Doreen's (Bubbles)
      thoughts on Gene's show as you know she must have watched it, it
      would give us a very unique perspective. As well as being able to
      tell her how much we liked her dad's show too. If any one has this
      info we'd appreciate it if you'd pass it along. Take care all, John
      > It is a whole new digital world out there today. Just think. We
      > didn't have much of a choice. Luck for us that Gene London was a
      > solid and good choice. How many channels and options did we have?
      > In the Phili area, we had basically 3 channels until UHF came in
      with
      > that little box on top of the TV. Then cable and satalite TV
      > struck. The only choice we had was Gene London and guess what?
      That
      > was the right option! It worked. Remember when we came in to school
      > we would all talk about the same TV shows, because with so little
      > choice, almost all of us would watch the same thing. What Gene
      > London offered was quality, imagination, and morality. How many
      > members here watched the TV show The Wonder Years from 1988 to
      1993?
      > The Wonder Years spoke to me, because I grew up in the wonder
      years.

      > Lou
      >
      > --- In Gene_Londons_Cartoon_Corners@yahoogroups.com, Ed Homa
      > <thunderball302@> wrote:
      > >
      > > just think - when we were growing up in the '60's and '70's there
      > were many TV shows for kids to watch on primetime TV - what shows
      are
      > there today for young kids to watch?
      > >
      > > i have a 7 (almost 8) year old son - there isn't anything on TV
      > that i will let him watch during primetime.
      > >
      > > Ed
      > >

      > > ________________________________

    • Ed Homa
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 24, 2009
        as a kid we had 3 - 6 - 10 and the UHF stations - 17 - 29 - 48 - and of course PBS - channel 12, although there was no Sesame Street when i was a kid.

        Wee Willie Webber was on 17 - 48 was the other station that had cartoons after school that i enjoyed.

        i guess at around age 13 after school i switched to watching reruns instead of cartoons - there was Daniel Boone, Lost in Space, Star Trek, and many more.

        Ed

        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 24, 2009
          i remember Dr Shock more from late Saturday night than on Saturday afternoons - i had seen him in the afternoons but never really watched him during the day but late at night.

          my cousins were a little bit older than me and they were into Dark Shadows - i watched it from time to time - but was never a big fan.

          i didn't like Sally Star because she played Popeye and i never liked Popeye.

          i think that Bubbles would be too young to remember Gene.

          is there really talk of some kind of Gene London reunion show?

          is there any tape of the old Gene London adventures that could be shown on the reunion show?

          would WCAU (that was the correct station for Gene - correct) be interested in a reunion show?

          put me done as wanting a reunion show - i'd be willing to write to WCAU requesting one!

          Ed

          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 24, 2009
            <thunderball302@...> wrote:
            >Remember it all, Dr. Shock was on Scream in on Sat. nights, then
            switched to the afternoons, for a while though during the early 70's
            through baseball season he was on Sat. nights again, opposite 48's
            nationally syndicated "Ghoul". 3,6, 10, 17, 29 and 48 and ch 12, 8
            and 11(NBC stations too) and 13 from Baltimore. That was it. In the
            early to mid 70's 29 had sat. nights booked with a triple horror/sci-
            fi bill, without a host. Times were different then, we actually went
            outside and played, our imaginations fueled by those shows you
            mentioned and voyage to the bottom of the sea and land of the Giants.
            For me Cartoon Corners and creepy old Quigley mansion were the basis
            for quite a few adventures as a kid.

            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 24, 2009
              yep - i forgot Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea and Land of the Giants and Time Tunnel.

              Ed

              >Remember it all, Dr. Shock was on Scream in on Sat. nights, then
              switched to the afternoons, for a while though during the early 70's
              through baseball season he was on Sat. nights again, opposite 48's
              nationally syndicated "Ghoul". 3,6, 10, 17, 29 and 48 and ch 12, 8
              and 11(NBC stations too) and 13 from Baltimore. That was it. In the
              early to mid 70's 29 had sat. nights booked with a triple horror/sci-
              fi bill, without a host. Times were different then, we actually went
              outside and played, our imaginations fueled by those shows you
              mentioned and voyage to the bottom of the sea and land of the Giants.
              For me Cartoon Corners and creepy old Quigley mansion were the basis
              for quite a few adventures as a kid.
              > as a kid we had 3 - 6 - 10 and the UHF stations - 17 - 29 - 48 -
              and of course PBS - channel 12, although there was no Sesame Street
              when i was a kid.

              > Wee Willie Webber was on 17 - 48 was the other station that had
              cartoons after school that i enjoyed.

              > i guess at around age 13 after school i switched to watching reruns
              instead of cartoons - there was Daniel Boone, Lost in Space, Star
              Trek, and many more.

              > Ed
              >

              > ____________ _________ _________ __

            • Debbie Couture
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 25, 2009
                I couldn't agree more, maybe if we had the kind of programing now for
                kids that we had then,we wouldn't have as many problem kids as we do.
                Of course we were let outside to play, it was a different era too. My
                children are all young adults (26,24, and 18), and even when they were
                little I could let them play outside. Today I would nor let them out
                of my sight. People seem to be targeting kids, snatching them off the
                streets in broad daylight, raping them, Mothers killing their own
                children so they can party. Its a scary world we live in folks, I
                would not want to be the parent of a small child today.
                No wonder so many of us who grew up watching Gene, long wistfully for
                those days when we could watch Captain Kirk go off into "The final
                frontier". And even that was considered a little risque although when
                the Enterprise first set about on its missions I was 12. Also became a
                huge fan.
                But even before that when we had limited channels, just the big three
                plus WNEW, and WPIX here in NY, where I spent a lot of my adolescence.
                There were really good shows at night to watch, Chiller Theater was a
                big treat on Friday nights.
                I remember being very little and watching Gene, and Captain Kangaroo,
                and then an hour or two of cartoons, maybe. Most of the time Saturday
                afternoons it was The Three Stooges and East Side Comedy. Or "Why
                don't you kids get outside and play instead of watching T.V...Actually
                it was "get outside and play, and you better come home if you see that
                porch light on".
                The kids have too many choices, and parents have too little time to
                spend with them. My parents both had to work, but not so we could
                have all the latest things like a T.V. in our bedrooms, our computers
                , or video games. It was to put food on the table and make sure we had
                what we needed. A lot of times we didn't get what we wanted but had
                what we needed.
                Maybe our current financial crisis, will result in kids having to rely
                more on their imaginations, and less on electronics to be stimulated.
                I always encouraged my kids to read, because I think there is no
                better way to travel to exotic places or have adventures then in the
                mind (at least for a kid).
                Sorry I got kinda soapboxish there.
                I also loved the three shows listed below, and Twilight Zone and
                Alfred Hitchcock, along with outer limits..... good stuff

                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 25, 2009
                  --- In Gene_Londons_Cartoon_Corners@yahoogroups.com, "Debbie Couture"
                  <bizzy.buzzbuzz@...> wrote:
                  >Times were different and one wonders how did it get this way? When
                  did people start behaving this way. I won't say there's a direct
                  connection, but you know TV began to change about the time Gene went
                  off the air. From my perspective there seems to be no quality
                  programming aimed directly at the kids from 7-12, especially in prime
                  time. Yes we could watch shows like star trek, the time tunnel, the
                  man from uncle and the time tunnel. The whole family could watch it!
                  Remember Saturday mornings? Gene London, Here Come the double
                  deckers,the herculoids, Jonny quest, really imaginative fun shows.
                  Now Saturday mornings are a waste land of infomercials and news
                  programs.We need a programming change, it would be nice if the local
                  statons would take up the slack and even better if Gene could be a
                  part of it. The other programs like the Twilight Zone and Alfred
                  Hitchcock were thought provoking and well written, yet without all
                  the "reality" in it they deem necessary today.
                  Hey we all used to read too, books, magazines, comic books. Your
                  parents knew there was nothing harmful in them, today Many comics are
                  over 3.00 and definitely not for the 7-12 age group. Used to be they
                  were written to appeal to a broad range. You didn't read down to
                  understand them, usually a child had to read up to understand them
                  and they asked questions. Also Getting that extra 50 cents was a big
                  deal for me. My conclusion, We need a change and we need Gene London,
                  fortunately for us he's still here. I think for all of us Gene
                  represents a better time, a safer time a more secure place. As well
                  as all the fun and adventure he showed us and all the things he
                  taught us, Art,history and how to conduct ourselves and treat other
                  people. It reinforced what our parents taught many of us. Many
                  parents don't seem to do that today. That's why we need Gene more
                  than ever. We sure do.