Our Children

  • jgd41698
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 22, 2009
      As silly as this may sound I belive our children need his talents of
      imagination and story telling his warm heart and soothing smile, I
      belive if this generation had him we wouldn't have the trouble we have
      today with our kids. I hope he would consider a comeback.
    • Ed Homa
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 23, 2009
        just think - when we were growing up in the '60's and '70's there were many TV shows for kids to watch on primetime TV - what shows are there today for young kids to watch?

        i have a 7 (almost 8) year old son - there isn't anything on TV that i will let him watch during primetime.

        Ed

        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 23, 2009
          It is a whole new digital world out there today. Just think. We
          didn't have much of a choice. Luck for us that Gene London was a
          solid and good choice. How many channels and options did we have?
          In the Phili area, we had basically 3 channels until UHF came in with
          that little box on top of the TV. Then cable and satalite TV
          struck. The only choice we had was Gene London and guess what? That
          was the right option! It worked. Remember when we came in to school
          we would all talk about the same TV shows, because with so little
          choice, almost all of us would watch the same thing. What Gene
          London offered was quality, imagination, and morality. How many
          members here watched the TV show The Wonder Years from 1988 to 1993?
          The Wonder Years spoke to me, because I grew up in the wonder years.

          Lou

          --- In Gene_Londons_Cartoon_Corners@yahoogroups.com, Ed Homa

          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 23, 2009
            --- In Gene_Londons_Cartoon_Corners@yahoogroups.com, "Lou K."
            <lkrupkin@...> wrote:
            > Although I was a little younger, the wonder years reminded me too
            of the late 60's early 70's. Dark Shadows, 12-15cent comic books. Wee
            willie Webber in the Afternoons, Sally star in the morning, Gene and
            Dr. shock on the weekends. It's interesting that we had all these
            people on different networks and they never put them in direct
            competition with each other. Imagine that? You know they all got good
            ratings, so wasn't it nice to be able to enjoy all these programs,
            with out all the one up man ship .I got started early watching Gene
            London, my earliest memories are from about 68, really though
            probably from birth, I have older brothers and sisters and they were
            in charge of the TV, hey and I gotta admit, they chose wisely (As you
            say, though, there weren't a lot of choices, anyway).
            We do need Gene London!The old show definitely!I would also like to
            see a new show of some sort,too.He's contemplating a reunion one
            shot, nothing in stone, but I'm urging. No, it's not silly, in these
            troubled times the children need Gene London, they never stopped
            needing "Gene London",the adults may need "Gene London" even more, if
            for no other reason to remind us of what's important, each other.
            On a sad note not sure if any of you are already aware of this or
            not, but Barbara Meyer who played "Mam" (Mrs. Dibley) passed away a
            couple years ago, I was reminded of it when it came up in recent
            conversation with Gene about who Might be in the reunion.
            When I can get some photo's of her, I'll post them in tribute.
            Judy Bell, (Debbie dibley according to Gene, still looks fantastic
            and is teaching in Chicago. I'll See what I can do about an
            interview.
            We thought it might be a nice idea to get, other local celebrities
            thoughts on Gene, Gene Cranes interview for new members is among the
            postings, I'll start a separate file for these, if and when I can get
            the celebs replies. The Broadcast Pioneers have no contact info for
            the family of Dr. Shock, it would be nice to have Doreen's (Bubbles)
            thoughts on Gene's show as you know she must have watched it, it
            would give us a very unique perspective. As well as being able to
            tell her how much we liked her dad's show too. If any one has this
            info we'd appreciate it if you'd pass it along. Take care all, John

            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 24, 2009
              as a kid we had 3 - 6 - 10 and the UHF stations - 17 - 29 - 48 - and of course PBS - channel 12, although there was no Sesame Street when i was a kid.

              Wee Willie Webber was on 17 - 48 was the other station that had cartoons after school that i enjoyed.

              i guess at around age 13 after school i switched to watching reruns instead of cartoons - there was Daniel Boone, Lost in Space, Star Trek, and many more.

              Ed

              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 24, 2009
                i remember Dr Shock more from late Saturday night than on Saturday afternoons - i had seen him in the afternoons but never really watched him during the day but late at night.

                my cousins were a little bit older than me and they were into Dark Shadows - i watched it from time to time - but was never a big fan.

                i didn't like Sally Star because she played Popeye and i never liked Popeye.

                i think that Bubbles would be too young to remember Gene.

                is there really talk of some kind of Gene London reunion show?

                is there any tape of the old Gene London adventures that could be shown on the reunion show?

                would WCAU (that was the correct station for Gene - correct) be interested in a reunion show?

                put me done as wanting a reunion show - i'd be willing to write to WCAU requesting one!

                Ed

                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 24, 2009
                  <thunderball302@...> wrote:
                  >Remember it all, Dr. Shock was on Scream in on Sat. nights, then
                  switched to the afternoons, for a while though during the early 70's
                  through baseball season he was on Sat. nights again, opposite 48's
                  nationally syndicated "Ghoul". 3,6, 10, 17, 29 and 48 and ch 12, 8
                  and 11(NBC stations too) and 13 from Baltimore. That was it. In the
                  early to mid 70's 29 had sat. nights booked with a triple horror/sci-
                  fi bill, without a host. Times were different then, we actually went
                  outside and played, our imaginations fueled by those shows you
                  mentioned and voyage to the bottom of the sea and land of the Giants.
                  For me Cartoon Corners and creepy old Quigley mansion were the basis
                  for quite a few adventures as a kid.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 24, 2009
                    yep - i forgot Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea and Land of the Giants and Time Tunnel.

                    Ed

                    >Remember it all, Dr. Shock was on Scream in on Sat. nights, then
                    switched to the afternoons, for a while though during the early 70's
                    through baseball season he was on Sat. nights again, opposite 48's
                    nationally syndicated "Ghoul". 3,6, 10, 17, 29 and 48 and ch 12, 8
                    and 11(NBC stations too) and 13 from Baltimore. That was it. In the
                    early to mid 70's 29 had sat. nights booked with a triple horror/sci-
                    fi bill, without a host. Times were different then, we actually went
                    outside and played, our imaginations fueled by those shows you
                    mentioned and voyage to the bottom of the sea and land of the Giants.
                    For me Cartoon Corners and creepy old Quigley mansion were the basis
                    for quite a few adventures as a kid.
                    > as a kid we had 3 - 6 - 10 and the UHF stations - 17 - 29 - 48 -
                    and of course PBS - channel 12, although there was no Sesame Street
                    when i was a kid.

                    > Wee Willie Webber was on 17 - 48 was the other station that had
                    cartoons after school that i enjoyed.

                    > i guess at around age 13 after school i switched to watching reruns
                    instead of cartoons - there was Daniel Boone, Lost in Space, Star
                    Trek, and many more.

                    > Ed
                    >

                    > ____________ _________ _________ __

                  • Debbie Couture
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 25, 2009
                      I couldn't agree more, maybe if we had the kind of programing now for
                      kids that we had then,we wouldn't have as many problem kids as we do.
                      Of course we were let outside to play, it was a different era too. My
                      children are all young adults (26,24, and 18), and even when they were
                      little I could let them play outside. Today I would nor let them out
                      of my sight. People seem to be targeting kids, snatching them off the
                      streets in broad daylight, raping them, Mothers killing their own
                      children so they can party. Its a scary world we live in folks, I
                      would not want to be the parent of a small child today.
                      No wonder so many of us who grew up watching Gene, long wistfully for
                      those days when we could watch Captain Kirk go off into "The final
                      frontier". And even that was considered a little risque although when
                      the Enterprise first set about on its missions I was 12. Also became a
                      huge fan.
                      But even before that when we had limited channels, just the big three
                      plus WNEW, and WPIX here in NY, where I spent a lot of my adolescence.
                      There were really good shows at night to watch, Chiller Theater was a
                      big treat on Friday nights.
                      I remember being very little and watching Gene, and Captain Kangaroo,
                      and then an hour or two of cartoons, maybe. Most of the time Saturday
                      afternoons it was The Three Stooges and East Side Comedy. Or "Why
                      don't you kids get outside and play instead of watching T.V...Actually
                      it was "get outside and play, and you better come home if you see that
                      porch light on".
                      The kids have too many choices, and parents have too little time to
                      spend with them. My parents both had to work, but not so we could
                      have all the latest things like a T.V. in our bedrooms, our computers
                      , or video games. It was to put food on the table and make sure we had
                      what we needed. A lot of times we didn't get what we wanted but had
                      what we needed.
                      Maybe our current financial crisis, will result in kids having to rely
                      more on their imaginations, and less on electronics to be stimulated.
                      I always encouraged my kids to read, because I think there is no
                      better way to travel to exotic places or have adventures then in the
                      mind (at least for a kid).
                      Sorry I got kinda soapboxish there.
                      I also loved the three shows listed below, and Twilight Zone and
                      Alfred Hitchcock, along with outer limits..... good stuff

                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 25, 2009
                        --- In Gene_Londons_Cartoon_Corners@yahoogroups.com, "Debbie Couture"
                        <bizzy.buzzbuzz@...> wrote:
                        >Times were different and one wonders how did it get this way? When
                        did people start behaving this way. I won't say there's a direct
                        connection, but you know TV began to change about the time Gene went
                        off the air. From my perspective there seems to be no quality
                        programming aimed directly at the kids from 7-12, especially in prime
                        time. Yes we could watch shows like star trek, the time tunnel, the
                        man from uncle and the time tunnel. The whole family could watch it!
                        Remember Saturday mornings? Gene London, Here Come the double
                        deckers,the herculoids, Jonny quest, really imaginative fun shows.
                        Now Saturday mornings are a waste land of infomercials and news
                        programs.We need a programming change, it would be nice if the local
                        statons would take up the slack and even better if Gene could be a
                        part of it. The other programs like the Twilight Zone and Alfred
                        Hitchcock were thought provoking and well written, yet without all
                        the "reality" in it they deem necessary today.
                        Hey we all used to read too, books, magazines, comic books. Your
                        parents knew there was nothing harmful in them, today Many comics are
                        over 3.00 and definitely not for the 7-12 age group. Used to be they
                        were written to appeal to a broad range. You didn't read down to
                        understand them, usually a child had to read up to understand them
                        and they asked questions. Also Getting that extra 50 cents was a big
                        deal for me. My conclusion, We need a change and we need Gene London,
                        fortunately for us he's still here. I think for all of us Gene
                        represents a better time, a safer time a more secure place. As well
                        as all the fun and adventure he showed us and all the things he
                        taught us, Art,history and how to conduct ourselves and treat other
                        people. It reinforced what our parents taught many of us. Many
                        parents don't seem to do that today. That's why we need Gene more
                        than ever. We sure do.