Re: Other local Philadelphia kid shows of the past

  • tim
    Message 1 of 38 , Mar 1, 2008
      Thanks,
      I think you are right on the money for Double Chiller!
      Thanks
      Tim

      --- In Gene_Londons_Cartoon_Corners@yahoogroups.com, "bakerjohnp1958"

      Darrylheine@

      > > > past besides Gene London?:

      > > > __
      > > > http://webmail.aol.com

    • Bill
      Message 38 of 38 , Mar 24, 2008
        Mentioning gerbils in the same breath as Philadelphia television
        brings back memories about Philly TV that I'd rather not mention
        here!!! ;-) ;-)

        (I'm about a week behind on my daily digests - my apologies for taking
        so long!)

        Bill Stephens
        Group Owner: PhiladelphiaTVandRadioNews
        Bucks County

        --- In Gene_Londons_Cartoon_Corners@yahoogroups.com, "bakerjohnp1958"
        <bakerjohnp1958@...> wrote:

        How about the gerbil races for prizes on 29, anybody remember that?

        --- In Gene_Londons_Cartoon_Corners@yahoogroups.com, <purple_sky@> wrote:

        I'm a little younger so I don't remember the converter, but In the
        late 60's early 70's there were still really only the channels you
        mentioned. unless you had a good antenna, then you could get 13 from
        baltimore which was an Abc affiliate, or channel 8 and 11 which were
        both Nbc stations, channel 2 was a cbs station. so mostly it was all
        the same programming. I lived in Delaware so we were situated better
        for picking up 13. Then all the stations signed off at varying times
        after midnight. Remember all the bad reception? I once watched
        Frankenstein meets the wolfman on DR. Shock's "mad" theater in the
        middle of of snow storm and it was summer time!, but I loved being
        able to get it all! What a sense of accomplishment, with tin foil on
        the rabbit ears! Then we got the new antenna and wow! "bubbles"
        Doreen was actally DR. Shock's youngest daughter, You know she must
        have watched Gene london.
        I liked Dr Shock a great deal -- and I really loved it when he'd bring
        his granddaughter(s) on camera, they were positively adorable! What
        tickled me to pieces was that they didn't seem to mind his terrifying
        make-up at all, he was just their Grampa, and nothing else mattered.

        Wee Willie and Rex Morgan stood in for Sally Starr very often. She
        was absent from her own show a LOT . . .

        I remember all the shows that have been mentioned here, but my fave
        was always Gene London's Cartoon Corners. I wanted to live there!
        > > LOL!
        > > >
        > > > Laura

        PS: While looking at the list of shows, something tangentially
        related came to mind: Remember when we got only about 4 channels
        (NBC, ABC, CBS and the public education channel) on VHF, and having a
        UHF converter was a big deal? I was thrilled to death when we were
        able to get channels 17, 29 and 48!