Re: [Gene_Londons_Cartoon_Corners] A memory of Gene

  • Flagg
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 29, 2008
      and still is!!!!!   Karen
      ----- Original Message -----
      Sent: Tuesday, July 29, 2008 10:14 PM
      Subject: [Gene_Londons_Cartoon_Corners] A memory of Gene

      From: otteratplay
      Subject: A memory of Gene
      To: bakerjohnp1958@...
      Date: Tuesday, July 29, 2008, 4:31 AM

      Tyler sent me this memory of Gene it's very special and it only proves that Gene really was the kind  and truly magical guy we all watched every weekend.

      Thanks Ty, much love

      The pic I posted of my mom, brother & myself was taken about the time when I met Gene on one of his personal appearances in Vineland. My mom put me in a pretty little dress & I had on my good shoes. We stood in line for what seemed like hours.

      We were at the end of the line. I think there were only 3 kids after me. Gene saw me, his face got soft. He reached over the counter. He picked me up & stood me on the counter in front of him. He gently stroked my cheek & told me I was a pretty darling little thing. I couldn't help it, I started it cry. My mom was the only one before that to tell me I was pretty little thing.

      He told me how lucky I was to have naturally curly hair.

      He got a tissue & gently dried my tears. The people who were with him began telling him they needed to get ready to leave. Eventually he got peeved & told them he wasn't finished talking with me. He spent a few more minutes with me, hugged me, then gently set me back on the floor. He smiled his beautiful smile at me & waved bye bye. He refused to leave until he had talked with the last child. I will carry this treasured memory with me to the end of my days.

      Ty

      Checked by AVG.
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 29, 2008
        --- In Gene_Londons_Cartoon_Corners@yahoogroups.com, Flagg
        <flagger@...> wrote:
        > Yes, absolutely Gene still is! and it's a shame that the children
        of to day don't get to see it and feel his presence the way we did
        and still do. Magic is hard to come by and to tell the truth I can't
        readily recall any magic more real and as special as Gene's. I guess
        because maybe there isn't any that comes close, least not that I'm
        aware of. John

        > and still is!!!!! Karen

        7/29/2008 6:43 AM

      • jem491960@msn.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 30, 2008
          Tyler's story brought tears to my eyes. I never had the opportunity to meet Gene in person, but the qualities that Tyler writes about -- the kindness, the special attention to a child's needs -- truly came at me right through the old black-and-white TV screen. He was my first love.

          Jeannie (now in Arizona!)

          To: Gene_Londons_Cartoon_Corners@yahoogroups.com
          From: bakerjohnp1958@...
          Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 03:23:42 +0000
          Subject: [Gene_Londons_Cartoon_Corners] Re: A memory of Gene

          <flagger@... > wrote:
          > Yes, absolutely Gene still is! and it's a shame that the children
          of to day don't get to see it and feel his presence the way we did
          and still do. Magic is hard to come by and to tell the truth I can't
          readily recall any magic more real and as special as Gene's. I guess
          because maybe there isn't any that comes close, least not that I'm
          aware of. John

          > and still is!!!!! Karen

          7/29/2008 6:43 AM

        • John Baker
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 30, 2008

            From: otteratplay
            To: bakerjohnp1958@...
            Date: Tuesday, July 29, 2008, 4:31 AM

            There was an error so I have to re-post Tylers letter.

            all of your memories are great! Gene loves reading them when he looks in.

            He has told me countless times that all of us are very special to him too!

            The pic I posted of my mom, brother & myself was taken about the time when I met Gene on one of his personal appearances in Vineland. My mom put me in a pretty little dress & I had on my good shoes. We stood in line for what seemed like hours.

            We were at the end of the line. I think there were only 3 kids after me. Gene saw me, his face got soft. He reached over the counter. He picked me up & stood me on the counter in front of him. He gently stroked my cheek & told me I was a pretty darling little thing. I couldn't help it, I started to cry.