Gene London Show

    Message 1 of 22 , May 3, 2013
      http://dbs.galib.uga.edu/cgi-bin/parc.cgi?userid=galileo&query=id:1960_60019_cyt_1 Copy it into your browser if the link doesn't appear in blue
    • mykulmak
      Message 2 of 22 , May 4, 2013
        I did not get the video to play on IE, Firefox or Chrome using UGA's default player 'flowplayer'. I also tried streaming the flv file (video file embedded within the UGA's web page) directly into Winamp and VLC - no luck.

        I did get audio only to work using the Quicktime link - but no video.

        I have the latest version of QT and adobe flash players installed. Using Win7 O/S.

        Anyone else have this problem?

        Michael

        --- In Gene_Londons_Cartoon_Corners@yahoogroups.com, "bakerjohnp1958" <bakerjohnp1958@...> wrote:

        > http://dbs.galib.uga.edu/cgi-bin/parc.cgi?userid=galileo&query=id:1960_60019_cyt_1 Copy it into your browser if the link doesn't appear in blue

      • grey5730
        Message 3 of 22 , May 4, 2013
          Yes, same here.  Very frustrating!

          Laura

          Message 4 of 22 , May 4, 2013
            Try going directly to the Peabody brown archive and typing Gene London into the search. I had to allow Quick time aps to enable before I could play them. They are downloadable.
            Message 5 of 22 , May 4, 2013
              Message 6 of 22 , May 6, 2013
                No luck for me -- I'll write the Peabody help ppl to see what we are doing wrong.

                Any one else having access problems?

                Message 7 of 22 , May 6, 2013
                  I don't know why it worked for me? I really didn't do anything special. I downloaded them too. Was nice to hear the simon c serpent song. I tried transfering them and uploading them but to reduce them to the app. size req to fit in the group files just made the quality so bad.
                • Cathrine Snyder
                  Message 8 of 22 , May 6, 2013
                    It did not work for me but there was a second Gene London show listed, and I was able to access that. Midway through was part of one of Gene's shows.
                    Thank you for all your effort!!!!

                    Message 9 of 22 , May 6, 2013
                      Strange, when you go to peabodybrown and type Gene London in their search. The Three come up. It asked me to allow quick time apps. it still took a few tries. They are downloadable ' with the P/B logo in an annoying spot. I watched the two new ones. One is another cartoons n stuff, stripped down to 19:06. Yet, their is a full segment of Simon C Serpent. and the bible story of king nebulkenezer, meshak, ray shak and abednego. The other ep is a Special about music hosted by Gene who joins in a bit. this is an hr. long.
                      Message 10 of 22 , May 6, 2013
                        Excuse me I meant Shadrach, Meshach and abednego. King Nebuchadnezzar. See what rushing gets you?
                      • mykulmak
                        Message 11 of 22 , May 6, 2013
                          > It did not work for me but there was a second Gene London show listed, and I was able to access that. Midway through was part of one of Gene's shows.
                          > Thank you for all your effort!!!!

                          Is that the 1959 show? if so, there are two files to complete the show.

                          http://dbs.galib.uga.edu/cgi-bin/parc.cgi?userid=galileo&query=id%3A1959_59015_cyt_1-2

                          The first vid is abt 32 minutes, the second, is 19 minutes.

                          rgs, M
                        • Cathrine Snyder
                          Message 12 of 22 , May 6, 2013
                            Yes, King Nebuchadnezzar is the episode I watched.

                            Message 13 of 22 , May 6, 2013
                              I did this but only one actually opened for me.

                              Message 14 of 22 , May 6, 2013
                                Yes! the other is an hr. music special hosted by Gene with the commercials.
                                Message 15 of 22 , May 6, 2013
                                  Did you download it and save it? My 7yr old daughter loves the Simon C Serpent bit and the bible story.
                                • Cathrine Snyder
                                  Message 16 of 22 , May 6, 2013
                                    Yes, thank you!

                                    Message 17 of 22 , May 6, 2013
                                      Still no joy for me.

                                      Laura

                                      Message 18 of 22 , May 6, 2013
                                        I wonder if it's a Norton or windows firewall configuration issue. What sites you allow? I don't think it originates from Peabody as a few can access it and many cannot. I Have a 64 bit system. It plays on my VCL player not windows or real player. I have quick time to and it did ask me to allow quick time apps. I don't know what the problem is, I'm just providing all I know.
                                      • mykulmak
                                        Message 19 of 22 , May 7, 2013
                                          I have Norton and the 1959 video worked, not the 1960 video - so its probably not a firewall problem for me anyway.

                                          The error msg (for me) at the GSU site indicated the 1960 file was not found when I tried to stream it from using their built-in player.

                                          The QT file audio works for me, just not the images - so perhaps I need at QT plug in (though I updated it recently when I first starting having problems - the most recent update did not fix it).

                                          sigh...

                                          Message 20 of 22 , May 7, 2013
                                            Wow, sorry everyone is having so much trouble. The music special is a lot of fun. It covers diff styles and performers. Easy to see why it was nominated . I'm Not what you would call a technical instrument player or Into the complexities of it's structure. I used to play a little bass guitar and learned 50s,60s and 70s tunes by ear and what is what on the bass. Someone really into music from a technical side and not just from the historical and enjoment side would find much more in it Without Gene and the commercial's it would still be and eotertaining and interesting document, but Gene hosting and participating makes it for me and worth rewatching and having in my collection. and it was locally produced. Philadelphib should never have given up on major market Film/Tv production. Gene should have been nationally syndicated and head of a Children's programming dept. Somewhere. Another industry sure wouldn't have hurt the area. Esp one without major enviromental issues and one that
                                            Message 21 of 22 , May 7, 2013
                                              Would increase tourism.
                                            • Cathrine Snyder
                                              Message 22 of 22 , May 7, 2013
                                                I don't have Norton. Our tech guy told us to use ESET SMART SECURITY5.
                                                I was able to access the Bible story video but not the others.
                                                Some us may be using different updates of Windows, so that may be the problem.
                                                It also could be one little setting we have that may be making it hard to open.