Re: [Gene_Londons_Cartoon_Corners] Re: Gene London Cartoons and Stuff from 1959

  • pabrucefan
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 23, 2013
      There could be a regional VOD play and a DVD play as well here in the Philly area on a "best of" program and maybe one full show.BUT the clearances for anything that includes film clips, interviews, etc would be a monster to handle and most likely would not happen. I would need to review the footage to speak more clearly in this. As always though, I think it would be worth it.

      Hope this helps John.

      From Joe Amodei's eye phone
      Please excuse all typos.

      "You're the quarterback."
      Julie Christie
      Heaven Can Wait

      On Mar 23, 2013, at 2:14 PM, "Adrian Hickman" <ahickman@...> wrote:

      I would think that, especially as we all grow older, the interest in full DVD’s would be light, especially since it would be regional. However, they could be offered as some sort of MOD (Manufacture On Demand) or even as a digital download series. That would make the raw materials cost very low and allow them to be offered at a better collectable price.

      The other concern might be, and my friend Joe would know better, is whether these shows have any copyrights, either to the entire broadcast or to people or music used on the show.

      Since the idea that anything this would ever be released in an ownable format was not even on the radar in the 60’s and 70’s, the contract to redistribute these shows are probably limited to broadcast and syndication.

      They might need changes and edits of underlying copyrights are involved. Best example that I can think of is WKRP IN CINCINNATI. That show used a ton of music, but the music was only licensed for the original broadcasts and a limited syndication window.

      That’s why when they released the first season on DVD, they had to substitute a good bit of the music with generic cover versions, killing a lot of the jokes.

      There is probably a way to release any material that exists, but it would have to be designed as a limited release with probably a higher price.

      Adrian Hickman

      FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/adimike55

      TWITTER: http://www.twitter.com/adimike55

      Blog: http://adrianhickman.wordpress.com

      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 23, 2013
        Gene reads whatever is written. So from all of you to his eyes and ears. We need it preserved and we need access to it whenever we wish. I know streaming/downloading and sites providing it are an 'in' easy thing. but I like having the removable media that I can keep and choose when and where I want to view it. Between sites pulling or blocking content and computer crash nightmares, I like having having copies in my hand. Tape although obsolete is more durable and fixable, but you have to go with what's practical.
      • mykulmak
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 23, 2013
          I'd gladly buy DVD(s) - VOD is easier, but DVD works too. I would have hoped all was included logos, TV commercials etc.. would give a real feel for the times..

          Anyway, best of luck in this endeavor, let we fans know how we can help with the productions/marketing. Perhaps use 'kick starter' to defray (some of) the costs to fans in exchange for some specials (dinner/lunch with Gene, private show, autographs, pre-purchase the DVD or VOD etc), in exchange for tiered donations...

          Some thoughts...

          Denver, CO
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 23, 2013
            Commercial's maybe ok. Several Dark Shadow's releases have included those and Maybe granfathered in. WCAU used to be CBS and there are issues with that. Some sort of disavowing disckaimer about CBS, NBC and station network views etc. etc maybe a way around it. I mentioned there were hold ups. Will keep everybody in the loop.
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 23, 2013
              I Love the thoght of the original 'as presented' with commercial s. Other s do not. a dual track would be nice. I have always been in favor of having them available to the fans in any way shape or form. I just want to have and watch The Shows.