Re: [Gene_Londons_Cartoon_Corners] Re: Gene London Cartoons and Stuff from 1959

  • Cathrine Snyder
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 18, 2013
      This was just wonderful! Thank you for finding this. Cathy Snyder

      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 18, 2013
        I still use one of London's rare clips in my middle-school Public Speaking class.   Gene was the master story-teller who could capture an audiences' imagination with just the story, his voice and his hands.  People underestimate the power of "story" in the business world and in politics.  Two things that will make most people like you is providing them with a good laugh and a great story.
      • Cathrine Snyder
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 18, 2013
          Greg, Thank you so much for sharing your story with us. You are so right on this!!!!!

          Cathy
        • mykulmak
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 23, 2013
            So having watched this video (thanks again for posting it, and GL's email with the link), do you think that if, one day, many of the shows appear on DVD, that enough baby boomer will buy to make the efforts worth while?

          • greg fox
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 23, 2013
              Most likey the DVDs would be purchased only by Boomer who grew up in the Philadelphia area. I would bet that few of us would have the time or interest in watching an entire CCs episode.  Remember, they were 90 minutes in length. Perhaps Boomers like me would be more interested in a "best of" DVD.

              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 23, 2013
                That's one of Gene's concerns. The group and FB will be useful advertising tools in that regard. We would finally have to organize a Gene London promotional event. Maybe a Whyy tribute to Gene. Offer autographs with purchases and we're thinking limited editions. Or a pre-order situation where x number has to be reached before production starts. and if certain sales are reached a 2nd production run and so on. There are nearly 5,000 members on Fb and nearly 500 here. With a little push on say 92.1 WVLT and 98 WOGL and WHYY and One of the independents. 5 to to 10,000 copies is not an unreasonable goal. Sure 100 plus would be great, but probably not realistic. Everyone would have to realize it would be more of a gift to us the core fans than it would be a huge money maker for Gene. Again no ones opposed to a profit, but unless the tri state really shows interest, profit will be marginal. but if there were say 3 volumes of 10 or so shows each and everybody in the core bought all three
              • Adrian Hickman
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 23, 2013

                  I would think that, especially as we all grow older, the interest in full DVD’s would be light, especially since it would be regional. However, they could be offered as some sort of MOD (Manufacture On Demand) or even as a digital download series. That would make the raw materials cost very low and allow them to be offered at a better collectable price.

                  The other concern might be, and my friend Joe would know better, is whether these shows have any copyrights, either to the entire broadcast or to people or music used on the show.

                  Since the idea that anything this would ever be released in an ownable format was not even on the radar in the 60’s and 70’s, the contract to redistribute these shows are probably limited to broadcast and syndication.

                  They might need changes and edits of underlying copyrights are involved. Best example that I can think of is WKRP IN CINCINNATI. That show used a ton of music, but the music was only licensed for the original broadcasts and a limited syndication window.

                  That’s why when they released the first season on DVD, they had to substitute a good bit of the music with generic cover versions, killing a lot of the jokes.

                  There is probably a way to release any material that exists, but it would have to be designed as a limited release with probably a higher price.

                  Adrian Hickman

                  FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/adimike55

                  TWITTER: http://www.twitter.com/adimike55

                  Blog: http://adrianhickman.wordpress.com

                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 23, 2013
                    Then it could be higher. Gene has spoken of several events. I can say Gene has enough Material in his possession to at least do the 3 volumes.. The video is of varrying quality though..
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 23, 2013
                      All channel 10 logos etc have to be excised. The adventure stories. Planet of the Apes, The spaceship etc. Would be the segments people would want to see in their entirety. There are some musical copyrights that have still to be ironed out. I can say the Gene London special where he vists Debbie in Hollywood does exist. Now hands up who wants to see that?
                    • pabrucefan
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 23, 2013
                        There could be a regional VOD play and a DVD play as well here in the Philly area on a "best of" program and maybe one full show.BUT the clearances for anything that includes film clips, interviews, etc would be a monster to handle and most likely would not happen. I would need to review the footage to speak more clearly in this. As always though, I think it would be worth it.

                        Hope this helps John.

                        From Joe Amodei's eye phone
                        Please excuse all typos.

                        "You're the quarterback."
                        Julie Christie
                        Heaven Can Wait

                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 23, 2013
                          Gene reads whatever is written. So from all of you to his eyes and ears. We need it preserved and we need access to it whenever we wish. I know streaming/downloading and sites providing it are an 'in' easy thing. but I like having the removable media that I can keep and choose when and where I want to view it. Between sites pulling or blocking content and computer crash nightmares, I like having having copies in my hand. Tape although obsolete is more durable and fixable, but you have to go with what's practical.
                        • mykulmak
                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 23, 2013
                            I'd gladly buy DVD(s) - VOD is easier, but DVD works too. I would have hoped all was included logos, TV commercials etc.. would give a real feel for the times..

                            Anyway, best of luck in this endeavor, let we fans know how we can help with the productions/marketing. Perhaps use 'kick starter' to defray (some of) the costs to fans in exchange for some specials (dinner/lunch with Gene, private show, autographs, pre-purchase the DVD or VOD etc), in exchange for tiered donations...

                            Some thoughts...

                            Denver, CO
                            Message 13 of 16 , Mar 23, 2013
                              Commercial's maybe ok. Several Dark Shadow's releases have included those and Maybe granfathered in. WCAU used to be CBS and there are issues with that. Some sort of disavowing disckaimer about CBS, NBC and station network views etc. etc maybe a way around it. I mentioned there were hold ups. Will keep everybody in the loop.
                              Message 14 of 16 , Mar 23, 2013
                                I Love the thoght of the original 'as presented' with commercial s. Other s do not. a dual track would be nice. I have always been in favor of having them available to the fans in any way shape or form. I just want to have and watch The Shows.