Flurry of Activity and an update on Lost in Space

  • mykulmak
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2013
      Nice to see this discussion group come alive once in a while - after sometimes months of quiet. Have many ppl moved onto Facebook? In any case, if Gene would post here regularly that would be awesome...

      'Lost in Space' (I posted about this show a few years ago...time for an update?...)

      Remember when GL played excerpts of 'Lost in Space'?   It may have been a promo sent to CBS affiliates in the summer of 1965 for the upcoming fall season. The original pilot (which I recall Gene used) excluded the robot and Dr Smith and, unlike later episodes, it was pretty good.  I do not believe the original 'Lost in Space' pilot was ever broadcast in its original state.   Likewise 'Star Trek', the original series, also re filmed their pilot. The original ST pilot (1965's 'The Cage') was not broadcast -in its entirety- until 1988.  I'm not sure I have my info correct, so feel free to elucidate.

      In glorious black and white, here is the 'Lost in Space' pilot: The year was 1997:   http://www.hulu.com/watch/148#i0,p0,d0

      The opening music, from the original 'Lost in Space' pilot, is by Bernard Herrmann's from his score for 'The Day The Earth Stood Still'  http://youtu.be/3ULhiVqeF5U

      'Lost in Space' was shortly re-edited in time for the fall broadcast to include Dr Smith and the robot.   The re-edit takes on a cold war flavor.
      Re-edited (broadcast) version: http://www.hulu.com/watch/170#i0,p0,d0

      I recall being a bit confused after watching the excerpts on CC, then watching a different version on CBS in the fall...

      Now, where did I put that fleece...

      (I'll re post this on the FB fan page)
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2013
        I think Sally Star's passing has a little to do with it. The need to remember, the need to connect.FB seemr to be a big place. It's more intimate here I think.
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 1, 2013
          Sorry, typing on the phone.