Sally Star

    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 27, 2013
      Sad news indeed as 'Our Gal Sal' passes away one day after her 90th Birthday. My earliest memories of Popeye go hand n hand with Sally Star.
    • Carl Budson
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 28, 2013
        I just saw this on the news this morning. It is still a shock even though she lived a full, long life. She was a lot of fun at appearances and a children's show host icon in Philadelphia. I've seen hard core bikers melt when they met her. She was special. I will miss her and never forget her sign off: "Love, luck and lollipops!"  Rest in peace, Sal.

        Sad news indeed as 'Our Gal Sal' passes away one day after her 90th Birthday. My earliest memories of Popeye go hand n hand with Sally Star.

      • Paula DiPierro
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 28, 2013
          Thank you for letting us know.  It is a very sad day for all of us, her fans.  She was a great lady, who will be greatly missed.  Paula

          Sad news indeed as 'Our Gal Sal' passes away one day after her 90th Birthday. My earliest memories of Popeye go hand n hand with Sally Star.

        • Mark Potts
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 28, 2013

          Here's a nice little report. Plus, she played Belle Starr in the last 3 Stooges movie, "The Outlaws is Coming". Here's a poster and a pic with her and Nancy Kovack (Annie Oakley) fighting. Sally is in the jeans. In reality, Belle didn't quite look as good as our gal Sal.

          http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Local-TV-Legend-Sally-Starr-Dies-at-90-188599991.html

          To: Gene_Londons_Cartoon_Corners@yahoogroups.com
          From: bakerjohnp1958@...
          Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 04:19:06 +0000

          Sad news indeed as 'Our Gal Sal' passes away one day after her 90th Birthday. My earliest memories of Popeye go hand n hand with Sally Star.

        • Ron Madara
          Message 5 of 9 , Jan 29, 2013

            My Brother Bob “Crazy Bob” Madara and his wife Darlene have been long time friends of Sally Starr…you could almost say she treated them like her children. He was a long time DJ and worked with her at WVLT in Vineland. Anyway, in case it hasn’t been posted yet, the service will be Feb 4 at the Constantino Funeral Home in Berlin NJ. The public service will be 5 PM to 8 PM. It will be a closed casket and Sally will be cremated.

            Ron Madara

            [Attachment(s) from Mark Potts included below]

            To: Gene_Londons_Cartoon_Corners@yahoogroups.com
            From: bakerjohnp1958@...
            Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 04:19:06 +0000

            Message 6 of 9 , Jan 29, 2013
              Thanks for that info Ron. Much appreciated.
            • mshapiro10
              Message 7 of 9 , Jan 29, 2013
                Did she have children?
                My gf won a treasure chest of toys from her when we were in 1st grade by sending in a Good & Plenty box.  We are now 60 so you do the math and figure out how many decades ago that was.  I still have my Sally Starr Doll and years ago I purchased a Sally Starr Cowgirl outfit.
                L,L & Lollipops
                Mimi

                To: Gene_Londons_Cartoon_Corners@yahoogroups.com
                From: bakerjohnp1958@...
                Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 04:19:06 +0000

                Message 8 of 9 , Jan 29, 2013
                  Sally (and her husband who died quite a while ago) didn't have any children.
                • mshapiro10
                  Message 9 of 9 , Jan 29, 2013
                    thanks John

                    Sally (and her husband who died quite a while ago) didn't have any children.