Gene London Letter on Craigslist...

  • tk3811_sacha
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 12, 2012
      Hi. I came across this posting today (not mine):

      http://southjersey.craigslist.org/clt/2804702446.html
    • LeeDebbie@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 12, 2012
        Honestly, I don't know why this posting is unsettling to me, but it is. It's one thing if Gene put this up, himself, to raise money for Charity. But for a fan to do this ... it's just rubbing me the wrong way. I think it's just me who is feeling this way.

        Debbie

      • barbara8@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 12, 2012
          I can understand your reaction, Debbie. I think many of us feel that Gene London is "ours" and not to be used for gain. However, we are aware that eBay is loaded with offerings of signed letters, photos and other personal items; the original intent of these was not for "sale."  As an autograph collector, I am grateful for the many in my collection which were generously sent in response to my requests. I do not intend to sell them, but someday they will have desirability and value to someone else. For now, I prize them. Curiously, the two illustrated signatures of Gene London in the CL ad are different (possibly the one on the letterhead was signed by a secretary?). I hope that, indeed, the sketches of the Beatles were done by Gene - very impressive! We all know, and advise our children, never to put anything in writing that we might regret later, and to be careful before hitting the "send" button. Who knows where the person offering the listed items obtained them? If they were yours, Debbie, I know you'd treasure them.

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 13, 2012
            Yep, it took me a bit to figure out why I feel the way I do. It's because this is from my early childhood and Gene was a true hero of mine. But, as you just highlighted below, it's what people do sometimes. I have a signed picture of Leonard Nemoy as Mr. Spock from the show. The envelope is yellowed, the picture still looks great, but in a time of true need, I'd sell it in a heartbeat.

            Debbie

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 13, 2012

              thanks 4 sharing
              ME

              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 13, 2012
                This is so cool Gene has moved back to Reading, Pa. Turns out we go to the same Vet. It was the first time I seen him since I was a kid in the 60's. I could tell who it was as soon as I seen him. A flood of emotions and memories all came rushing back but I could not say a word. LOL!!! Kinda like the day I met him as a small boy.
                I asked the receptionist if that was Gene, and she said yes it was. How did you know that? I did not have a answer but some how I just knew. She told me she would set up my next visit at the same time as Gene so I could talk to him.
                Unfortunately my pet has since passed away and I have no reason to return to the Vet, and don't want to seem like some stalker. Now all I can think of is him telling me the story of Icarus so many years ago.

                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 13, 2012

                  Just go
                  I am sure no one will think you are stalking an 80 year old man