Re: [Gene_Londons_Cartoon_Corners] Gene London show puppets

  • momcfadden@aol.com
    Message 1 of 24 , Oct 3, 2011
      Yo Adrian,  (could not help myself)
      you are right about his background with Shari Lewis

      In a message dated 10/3/2011 2:22:19 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, ahickman@... writes:

      I know that Gene was a college trained puppeteer and I think he worked with Shari Lewis in the early 50’s. Not sure I remember puppets on Cartoon Corners. I could be wrong.

      Adrian

      Message 2 of 24 , Oct 3, 2011
        I have murky memories of a giraffe.

        Message 3 of 24 , Oct 3, 2011
          Too bad there is nobody like Gene to entertain and teach our children today. I honestly do not remember that puppet and hardly ever missed a show until I went into the working world at the tender age of 17. Hmm, and when I said I remembered the giraffe, I must be thinking of another puppet show back in the day. Though my favorite was Berty the Bunyip. I never really cared for Cookla Fran and Oli.

          Debbie

          In a message dated 10/3/2011 6:17:35 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, ahickman@... writes:

          And this page from Facebook.

          http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.197898516930365.62525.197889606931256

          Message 4 of 24 , Oct 3, 2011
            Hi. Thank you for the information. Have a good evening...

            Take this with a grain of salt that it is signed “a reader”, but this is from the tvparty.com site

            About ten years ago, while a bike messenger in New York City, I made a delivery to Gene London's apartment around 6th Avenue and 20th Street. I mentioned that I recognized him, and when he commented that he thought I was too young to remember the show, I responded that I remember the later seasons. The seasons that contained a purple puppet of some kind as a sidekick. Gene said he didn't remember any puppet on the show, and then after a moment of reflection, gasped, and said, "Oh, the PUPPET! I forgot all about the puppet. Working with that thing was so horriiible, I must have completely blocked the memory out!" With his eyes wide, his hands over his mouth, he thanked me for the package and sent me on my way.
            - a reader

            Message 5 of 24 , Oct 3, 2011

              The only giraffe puppet I can think of from that era was with the Ritz Puppets which were featured in” In the Park with Bill Sears” on channel 10. There was also puppets of a squirrel, an ostrich, and a crow that had a cigarette hanging out of the side of his mouth.

              Ron

              Message 6 of 24 , Oct 3, 2011

                Here’s a link to more info on the Ritts puppets: http://www.tvacres.com/puppets_ritts.htm

                Ron

                Message 7 of 24 , Oct 3, 2011
                  Bertie ruled big time.

                  Joe Amodei
                  Virgil Films & Entertainment
                  646 723 7060

                  "One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know."

                  Captain Jeffrey T. Spaulding
                  aka Groucho Marx
                  ANIMAL CRACKERS

                  Message 8 of 24 , Oct 3, 2011
                    Hi. Thank you for the link. Have a good evening..

                    Message 9 of 24 , Oct 3, 2011

                      Message 10 of 24 , Oct 3, 2011
                        Ron, you have an astounding memory! How can I forget a crow with a cigarette hanging from it's mouth? That sounds too funny! I love it.
                        Debbie

                        Message 11 of 24 , Oct 3, 2011
                          You know what, Ron, now I remember the Cecilia the ostrich.

                          Message 12 of 24 , Oct 4, 2011
                            There's a picture of the puppet Simon the Sea Serpent in the files section under the Gene London Fan Magazine. It's on page 3
                          • yeagerzpage
                            Message 13 of 24 , Oct 4, 2011
                              There was definitely one puppet I remember. "Old Lady Hanover" She was a witch or something with three eyes and she lived in a haunted house. I think there was usually lightning flashing too. That puppet gave me nightmares, but I loved the rest of the show.

                              --- In Gene_Londons_Cartoon_Corners@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <miamouse2@...> wrote:

                              > Hi. Does anyone remember the name of the puppets on Gene's show? I think
                              > he would ask them to tell a story from time to time...

                            • Hamhock
                              Message 14 of 24 , Oct 8, 2011
                                Sadly, I don't remember there being puppets on the show.

                                Message 15 of 24 , Oct 9, 2011
                                  The last format was Blasterama which featured Gene in the back yard drawing with a group of kids and I believe he had a flamingo type puppet..the last format was Gene's least favorite

                                • jimgriffith@rocketmail.com
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Oct 9, 2011
                                    The last I remember was when Gene would be on a back porch of a house and the kids sat on the grass in the back yard. I think it was Mrs. Dibley's.
                                    I kind of remember this being the Sunday edition of the show. Sound familiar to anyone else?