Mrs. Noah

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 4, 2011
      I'm sure many of you already know, but Patricia Merberier.who played Mrs. Noah passed away Jun 24th..We're sorry and saddened to hear the news of yet another local celeb from many of our childhoods passing away..The show Captain Noah and his magical Ark ran from 1967-1994..What I'm truly amazed by is the fact that There were so many Childrens programs produced locally between 1960-1980.. When you
      think about it,we had Gene, Sally Star, Wee Willie Webber, Chief Halftown and though not technically a Childrens program (many children watched it) Dr. Shock..and many others..
      Even later there was something called the Candy Apple news Company and Star stuff..Now when one remembers the popularity of all these programs the truly extraordinary thing is that although Gene was on Ch. 10, Sally and Capt.Noah on Ch 6 , Wee Willie and Dr. Shock on 17 they were never put head to head against each other really. Almost as if the networks locally had an understanding about their most popular shows and stars..We the audience (For a change)actually benefitted from this.
      Wouldn't it be wonderful if Ch. 12 aired a block of these shows?(those which still exist) either on Sat. or Sun morning..I'm sure it would be cheaper for them than buying what they buy..I'm sure we would all watch with our children and grand children and give us that sense of connection and history, something else to pass on and shared memories..If nothing else a lasting way to honor our local celebrities who meant and still mean so much to us..
      Rest in Peace Mrs.Noah
    • LeeDebbie@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 4, 2011
        Oh John, I do agree. I also remember Sally Star once saying that she was out mother's babysitter while Mom went and cooked dinner for the household. I forget if Popeye Theater was on for an hour or half an hour. But, I do recall my sister I being transfixed to the television during that time. Also when we got home from grade school, all of us kids raced to the TV to watch Beanie and Ceasal (sp) a show about a little boy and his sea serpent friend. They always did battle against Dishonest John. But, getting back to the timing of the shows, I think it was done on purpose. It kept us kids entertained during critical times of the day and our parents knew where we were. And somewhere along the line, we did our homework, if it was still light outside, we went out to play for a bit.

        Honestly, I do wish there were popular cartoons with less violence. I have seen some nice programs on Saturday morning that are very cute, but they reach out to the very young. And, I think if the kids could get a taste of the programs we grew up with, they would enjoy them as much as we did.

        I am saddened to hear of the passing of Mrs. Noah. Funny, to this day I still sing the song about sending pictures to Dear old Captain Noah.

        Debbie

        In a message dated 8/4/2011 11:02:02 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, bakerjohnp1958@... writes:

[...]

      • macmothership
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 10, 2011
          --- In Gene_Londons_Cartoon_Corners@yahoogroups.com, "bakerjohnp1958" <bakerjohnp1958@...> wrote:

          > I'm sure many of you already know, but Patricia Merberier.who played Mrs. Noah passed away Jun 24th..We're sorry and saddened to hear the news of yet another local celeb from many of our childhoods passing away..The show Captain Noah and his magical Ark ran from 1967-1994..What I'm truly amazed by is the fact that There were so many Childrens programs produced locally between 1960-1980.. When you
          > think about it,we had Gene, Sally Star, Wee Willie Webber, Chief Halftown and though not technically a Childrens program (many children watched it) Dr. Shock..and many others..
          > Even later there was something called the Candy Apple news Company and Star stuff..Now when one remembers the popularity of all these programs the truly extraordinary thing is that although Gene was on Ch. 10, Sally and Capt.Noah on Ch 6 , Wee Willie and Dr. Shock on 17 they were never put head to head against each other really. Almost as if the networks locally had an understanding about their most popular shows and stars..We the audience (For a change)actually benefitted from this.
          > Wouldn't it be wonderful if Ch. 12 aired a block of these shows?(those which still exist) either on Sat. or Sun morning..I'm sure it would be cheaper for them than buying what they buy..I'm sure we would all watch with our children and grand children and give us that sense of connection and history, something else to pass on and shared memories..If nothing else a lasting way to honor our local celebrities who meant and still mean so much to us..
          > Rest in Peace Mrs.Noah

          Kind of feels like my own grandmother has died just a little bit. Captain and Mrs. Noah were definitely like parent/grandparent figures to me. I still remember what a thrill it was to see my drawing on TV during the "Send your pictures to dear old Captain Noah" segment.
          Very sad.
          Rest in peace - we love you.
        • Adrian Hickman
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 10, 2011

            Every so often on the weekend, LiveWellTV, which is a digital subchannel of WPVI 6.2 runs a half hour of Capt. Noah.

            Adrian