Let's Pretend!

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 9, 2011
      Anne gave me permission to post this letter she sent me

      After watching this clip, I realized how deeply I internalized Gene's 'Let's Pretend' song. About 10 years ago I was put on a software development project that was in serious trouble. The team was disenfranchised, no one believed that the product could be delivered -- ever. My first meeting with the team as the new project manager, I stood before a whiteboard and looked at the grumbly group of adults before me. I said, "Hey, let's pretend we can make this happen. Put away all your doubts & let's all go to 'Pretendland'. Seriously, I said these words. Over the course of an hour, I sketched out on the whiteboard, all the pieces of the product 'story' -- what we really needed, what we really could do & kept shooting down resistance by saying, "Ah, but you forgot, we are in Pretendland wherel all things are possible." It was a bit flaky & nutty, but by the end of the meeting, we left the room as a team who believed that we could make the delivery. And you know, we did!!

      One of my co-workers in the room still talks about the meeting as the weirdest thing he ever saw, but says I somehow spun a magical story and made people believe the unbelievable. I realized this morning that I have Gene to thank for my imaginative showmanship!!

      Anne