Re: [Gene_Londons_Cartoon_Corners] hey its Saturday morning !

  • LeeDebbie@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 23, 2010
      Yes, I often think of how much I enjoy Gene on a Saturday morning. Sadly, it seems the networks no longer provide programming  like this for the kids. We not only were entertained, but Gene would teach us things too.

      Debbie

      In a message dated 10/23/2010 12:33:46 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, lori@... writes:

      At 11:37 AM 10/23/2010, you wrote:
      >...and no Gene on the TV boo.
      >
      >I remember when Saturday mornings were such a treat to see Gene.
      >Hoping the DVD(s?) are issued soon.
      >
      >Memories. ;-)

      Yeah, Saturday mornings sure aren't as fun as they used to be! Now
      I'm watching the soaps I've DVR'd thru the week! LOL

      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 24, 2010
        No Saturday morning is a wasteland now, the networks have all expanded their news programs. It was such a cool thing every Sept. they would change the Cartoon's and there would be Fri night "sneak peek" usually the first week of School..and between playing outside, Cartoons and Cartoon Corner's, there was DR. Shock in the afternoon..bike rides or walks to the corner store or maybe a day out with the family..

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 24, 2010
          Gosh! Now you are really bringing back the memories. But, today we still have the side channels. Why can't they host programs like these? I would watch Gene London on Saturday mornings and then catch Lorenzo and His Friends on Sunday mornings before church.

          I will say, some of the cartoons Saturday mornings do try and teach things to the children. But, they are a far cry from what we used to get as children growing up.

          Also, Gene had a morning show that aired everyday. I think it was a half hour long. He would tell a quick story, draw a picture, possibly show a few cartoons, and touch on some of the topics of the day. I believe he was followed by Pix Ann. I also remember Happy the Clown and his train for the kids to ride. I liked him because he showed the Casper Cartoons.

          I guess because there is the Cartoon Channel that runs 24/7 I guess the networks feel it's all covered for the kids. Yawn!!!!

          Debbie

        • ahickman@rcn.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 26, 2010
            For those of you in Philly. NBC10 just reprogrammed their second digital channel 10.2 as NBC Local. It runs 8 hours of programming repeated 3 times a day. Some of it is repurposed from the main show (The 10! Show, Nate Berkus) but some is created locally for the channel.

            From what I just caught the end of, at 9:30 AM, they have a show that will feature vault footage from the past. You can request shows by e-mail, but I would suggest following them on Twitter as well.

            Now is the time to get those Gene London requests in.

            I would assume that the vault show will be repeated at 5:30 this afternoon.

            From: LeeDebbie@...
            Sender: Gene_Londons_Cartoon_Corners@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 20:34:07 -0400 (EDT)
            To: <Gene_Londons_Cartoon_Corners@yahoogroups.com>