Re: [Gene_Londons_Cartoon_Corners] Gene didn't make his decision lightly

  • Carl Budson
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 2, 2010
      Cashing in? After all this time who could possibly think that? I believe that there are those of us of a certain age who have always loved Gene like a big brother. When I met Gene in Reading last November I was stunned by the depth of emotions that welled up within me. I was awash in memories of his show and what he meant to me as a child. I have thought of Gene's show many times over the years, especially after I had children of my own. In my opinion there is NOTHING on television now that comes close to matching his talent and sincerity. I am truly sorry that my children never got to share in Gene's magic. I've been hoping to see Gene's shows again for years and I am thrilled at the prospect of being able to see Cartoon Corners General Store again and share it with my family. I will purchase every DVD that is made available.

      I am also hoping that Gene will write an autobiography. Thank you, Gene, for pointing me to this group. The content here has jogged many happy memories. I am so looking forward to your reunion show.

      Warm regards,

      Carl

      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 2, 2010
        Carl that's exactly what I expressed to Gene..My dad died when I was seven and my much older brother before turned eight..and Gene was always there every Sat. with a song, a story, a smile...He was a friend when I needed one most..and he still is..He was like a big brother and father..He always inspired and taught us and gave us a safe place to play and learn. Where the imagination really was the greatest nation of all..(to paraphrase Edmund Gwenn, from Miracle on 34Th St...)
        The generations that grew up without Gene on TV just don't know what they missed. Now, with the expectation of the shows coming out, many of our kids and grand kids will get a chance to see what a wonderful time we had, just how lucky we were and experience the magic of Gene London...

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 3, 2010
          John,

          Thank you for sharing your feelings about Gene. I was an only child and Gene was the big brother that I wish I had. He was funny and talented and understanding...and always there for me. I have never written to any celebrity in my life, but I wrote to Gene after meeting him in Reading to tell him what he meant to me. He was gracious in his response and I am happy that I took the leap in reaching out to him. Life is far too short and I wanted Gene to know how his show affected me in a positive way. After reading the posts in this group, he must know that many people feel the same way about him.

          Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help with the reunion show. I want to give back something to the man who gave so much to me.

          Warm regards,

          Carl

          Carl that's exactly what I expressed to Gene..My dad died when I was seven and my much older brother before turned eight..and Gene was always there every Sat. with a song, a story, a smile...He was a friend when I needed one most..and he still is..He was like a big brother and father..He always inspired and taught us and gave us a safe place to play and learn. Where the imagination really was the greatest nation of all..(to paraphrase Edmund Gwenn, from Miracle on 34Th St...)
          The generations that grew up without Gene on TV just don't know what they missed. Now, with the expectation of the shows coming out, many of our kids and grand kids will get a chance to see what a wonderful time we had, just how lucky we were and experience the magic of Gene London...

          --- In Gene_Londons_ Cartoon_Corners@ yahoogroups. com, Carl Budson <carlbudson@ ...> wrote:

          > Cashing in? After all this time who could possibly think that? I believe that there are those of us of a certain age who have always loved Gene like a big brother. When I met Gene in Reading last November I was stunned by the depth of emotions that welled up within me. I was awash in memories of his show and what he meant to me as a child. I have thought of Gene's show many times over the years, especially after I had children of my own. In my opinion there is NOTHING on television now that comes close to matching his talent and sincerity. I am truly sorry that my children never got to share in Gene's magic. I've been hoping to see Gene's shows again for years and I am thrilled at the prospect of being able to see Cartoon Corners General Store again and share it with my family. I will purchase every DVD that is made available.
          >
          > I am also hoping that Gene will write an autobiography. Thank you, Gene, for pointing me to this group. The content here has jogged many happy memories. I am so looking forward to your reunion show.
          >
          > Warm regards,
          >
          > Carl
          >

          > ____________ _________ _________ __

        • Lori
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 4, 2010
            At 07:38 PM 4/2/2010, you wrote:

            >Cashing in? After all this time who could possibly think that? I
            >believe that there are those of us of a certain age who have always
            >loved Gene like a big brother. When I met Gene in Reading last
            >November I was stunned by the depth of emotions that welled up
            >within me. I was awash in memories of his show and what he meant to
            >me as a child.

            Carl, I felt that same way when I was there. I was tearing up the
            whole time. I never knew those emotions were so strong and so
            hidden. The total happiness of finally seeing Gene all these years
            later, when I had longed to meet him for practically my whole life,
            was amazing. No big movie stars, no famous singers, could EVER make
            me as happy inside as meeting Gene. Wow..that really says a lot, doesn't it?

            I'm tearing up just remembering...

            Hugs,
            Lori
          • Carl Budson
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 4, 2010
              Lori,

              I could barely hold it together and I am not the sensitive type. I know that I was babbling to Gene and he was gracious and warm. I subsequently wrote to him to express myself coherently and he wrote back and was quite charming.

              I always wanted to meet him too and I am glad I had a chance to say what I wanted to say to him and thank him for the happy memories. He was the same person he always appeared to be way back when; he was real and he was genuine. I have never felt this way about any other "stars' either. Maybe it is the connection back to the innocence of our childhoods and the wish that we could share in that magic again with our families today. You are absolutely right, it does say a lot!

              I cherish that brief meeting with Gene last year and I hope that we both get to see him again soon at the reunion show. I don't want to wait another 35 years!

              Warm regards,

              Carl

              >Cashing in? After all this time who could possibly think that? I
              >believe that there are those of us of a certain age who have always
              >loved Gene like a big brother. When I met Gene in Reading last
              >November I was stunned by the depth of emotions that welled up
              >within me. I was awash in memories of his show and what he meant to
              >me as a child.

              Carl, I felt that same way when I was there. I was tearing up the
              whole time. I never knew those emotions were so strong and so
              hidden. The total happiness of finally seeing Gene all these years
              later, when I had longed to meet him for practically my whole life,
              was amazing. No big movie stars, no famous singers, could EVER make
              me as happy inside as meeting Gene. Wow..that really says a lot, doesn't it?

              I'm tearing up just remembering. ..

              Hugs,
              Lori

            • Hamhock
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 4, 2010
                What reunion show?

                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 5, 2010
                  Gene is planning a cartoon Corners reunion Show, some things have held it up, but we're looking to summer..I'll post all info as I get it!
                  Thanks, John