Member Roll Call of the SIG on Surname Projects and Genetic Genealog

  • Bill Howard
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 16, 2009
      Hi, Jim,

      I am replying to your questions on Gen-Gen about forthcoming meetings
      - I was one of the three who attended.
      I believe that too many things conspired against having a large group
      this past time, among which were:

      • The first meeting after the hiatus of the summer break
      • Settling down to a new Fall routine with school, etc.
      • The new location (which I very much favor)
      • The topic of the meeting. Many surname administrators already
      attend past sessions and I think they get a lot out of the
      discussions, but I suspect that the others don't aspire to be a
      surname administrator yet have a deep interest in DNA testing and
      analysis.

      The one thing you did not mention was that our meeting with only three
      present lasted from 7 until 9. We had wide ranging discussions of many
      DNA-related topics, primarily because you and Bill Hurst are so
      knowledgable of the DNA process. If any others had attended, the
      discussions could have been oriented toward their problems as well.

      I would vote for staying at the McLean Library, keeping the hours we
      have, and going forward. You might take a look at past session topics
      and rotate to those which have been well-attended in the past.

      I would call our last meeting attendance as a statistical fluctuation
      - I think we have interested people who just could not attend last
      time and the topic might have been too restrictive if attendees don't
      aspire to be surname administrators.

      Keep up the good work!
      - Bye from Bill Howard

      Monthly financial summaries (Sept 2008 until a few months ago) that I
      send to my Stock Letter subscribers can be seen at the following web
      site. The URL is: http://web.mac.com/weh8/Financial/Financial_Comments.html